Big Changes Coming

I’ve become increasingly concerned that over time this blog has become a mish-mash of too many different tones and topics.

Those who like my posts with quotos (a term I may have coined for photos with quotes) and other humorous topics may be bored with my family updates, posts on kindness throughout the world, and/or takes on parenting or relationships–and vice versa.

I believe that even my creative blogs are too general. Readers who are interested in my poetry may be bored with my songs or children’s stories, or vice versa.

So, coming soon you will have a better way to select the topics on which I write that are of the most interest to you.

In fact, another focused site has just arrived. If you enjoy my poetry, please check out “A Grateful Man’s Poetry” at http://agratefulmanspoetry.com

If you want to read a site focused on my children’s stories and books, please follow “Clyde and Friends” at http://clydeandfriends.com

While my original blog, “A Grateful Man” at russtowne.com is likely to remain my flagship, my newer sites will be focused on areas that may only be of interest to sub-sets of readers.

As sites for my favorite passions and topics are created, I plan to de-emphasize them on this flagship blog.

It is my hope that readers will have the opportunity over time to be able to focus on the topics about which we share a passion or interest and not have to deal with ones of little interest to you.

Please let me know what you think of these changes as they occur.

Thank you!

This entry was posted in Change, Choices, Focus, Following Your Passion, Humor, Project Updates for Children's Stories/Poems I Wrote, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Big Changes Coming

1. William Early says:

Dear Russ,

Your blogs have been very enjoyable since I found you a couple of months ago. One question keeps coming to my mind – “what is your spiritual status?” Would you mind sharing with me?

Blessings,

Faith Early

Sent from my iPad

Thank you for kind comments. As for your question as to my spiritual status, I’m a believer in kindness, which I define as love in action. I find that wherever I’ve experienced kindness there is also much strength, humility, compassion, and wisdom.

2. I get where you’re coming from but when a person blogs on different topics it’s then the reader’s choice to either read or not I think… when they see the topic. Sometimes I have found when other blogs are open it is more confusing but that’s only my thought. Some bloggers if they blog on certain subjects include what that is in the title … ie A wonderful life… poem or Words of Wisdom-Quotes… etc.

I’ve likely given you information you don’t really need but it’s just some thoughts … Whatever you decide must be right for you…. Diane

Thank you for taking the time to respond with specific feedback, Dianne. You raise good points that I plan to think about before deciding whether or not to create any more new blogs.

3. heila2013 says:

Dear Russ,
    I like versatile blogs and I think writing what comes to mind on ONE blog is best and least confusing. As Diane says, it’s the “reader’s choice to either read or not I think… when they see the topic”. Have a wonderful day. Heila

Russ, I don’t mind having a jumble in the blog, poetry, quotes, news. If someone does not want to read the news, they won’t. Everything is about you and what you see, think, feel, I guess you are a very organised man and wanted to “tidy ” up. As I said I like the mix and it gives the wider picture about you. Love your blog! Wishing you a lovely day!

Thank you for your feedback, Ute. A big part of what is driving my consideration is that I now have written over 1,000 posts. With the growth in the number of followers of the blog, I’m now in a situation where perhaps 80% of my readers haven’t experienced about 80% of those posts, and many of what I consider to be my best posts are the ones that will never be seen by most of my followers. I have been re-posting some of the older posts but don’t want this blog to largely become a series of reruns for long-time readers, and as the readership grows, so do my concerns regarding this aspect.

Also, out of over 518 followers, my perception is that only about 30 comment with some frequency. About 94% have almost never or very rarely comment or “Like” posts. I’m trying to make sense of that. Is it that 94% who “follow” this blog don’t like it or that I really have only about 30 followers? I’m just attempting to get at the truth so I have a better understanding of the situation. From there I can decide what, if anything, I want to do about it.

I figure that if I try focusing some of my blogs on specific areas in which I and readers of those blogs share a passion, I might be able to find answers to some of my questions, might have a higher percentage of followers who enjoy or are passionate about what I write, and as a major bonus to me (and perhaps to some of those readers), much of the material that I’ve written over the last three years will find a new and perhaps more interested audience.

• utesmile says:

I do understand where you are coming from. 1000 posts are -wow- many. I for example have not seen your first ones either only since I follow you. You do have a point. Even though some blogs have 2000 followers they also only get 50 likes or comments. In the end it gets down to the regulars, as you say who comment or like and not all followers do. Some of the blogs I followed I have noticed, don’t even exist anymore. I sometimes go through my blogs I follow and check of some I haven’t heard for a long time. I guess some blogs are just there for a while and people get bored and stop. You have yours long already and I know that you are passionate about what you write and publish, it comes from your heart.
        You do what you think is best, I will follow you, will enjoy your coming posts about books, family , positiveness, gratitude etc. I am grateful I found you, Russ! ♥

5. heila2013 says:

Yes Ute, exactly, the MIX is where the excitement lies. (Unless of course you’re setting up a professional blog to cover one specific field.)
    A wonderful day to all (I’m in the office, our Sunday is like your Monday – first day of the workweek.) 🙂

Thank you, Heila. I used to think the same. Now, I’m not so sure, and just sent a new post explaining why.

• heila2013 says:

Hi Russ,

I read your post and I think you have a point, a big one even! You got me thinking… I’ve been blogging only since May and I’m still in the process of shaping my blogger identity or identities… thanks for the food for thought.
        BTW, I LOVE your posts about you and your “Beloved”!!! 🙂

6. It’s a great idea. Lately, I have felt I’d like to start a more R-rated blog. I feel often restrained by expectations, and have much to express that is less candy coated but don’t want to change the tone of the CHATTER too much.

I appreciate your feedback. Yes, I too get concerned that if I veer in a direction that is substantially different than the one followers signed up for it is a bit like false advertising. At different times I created a lot of posts about dogs or parenting and noticed I got followers who had interests or passion in those areas, but soon after I changed the subject, such followers lost interest and stopped interacting. I wonder if that is a reason I have over 500 followers but only about 30 who interact with any consistency or frequency. At this point, I believe that I’d much rather have one or more blogs that are focused on a single topic. They each might have a lot fewer followers, but the ones who did read it are much more likely to be truly interested in, and passionate about, the subject.