Hearing You, and More Reasons for Considering Changes

Thank you to those of you who provided feedback regarding possible big changes that I mentioned in my last post. Most of those comments indicate a preference that I leave everything all in one blog.

I’ve listened. A new blog I was going to start up today will be put on hold pending further consideration. It was going to be one focused on Lasting Love and deal with love, romance, marriage, and long-term committed relationships. Another was going to be focused on parenting.

I’d noticed that for a long time whenever I shared a wrote a poem, song, story I wrote in a post, my “Like” count dropped–sometimes by a lot–especially versus something such a post containing someone else’s humor or quoto (photo and quote).

In other words, it seems that the posts that are of the most interest to me–and the most reflective of my spirit and uniqueness–often appear to be the least of interest to the majority of the readers of this blog (including even a significant percentage of those who do take the time to respond with comments and “Likes” to my other types of posts).

It appears to me that the bulk of the readers want this blog to be more about generic quotos and humor than about what is unique to me and comes from my spirit. There is nothing wrong with that, but it isn’t what I burn for.

Thousands, perhaps millions of blogs spread jokes, funny photos and stories, and great quotes, and many bloggers do it very well. I enjoy such posts a lot. But it isn’t my passion to create such posts as a primary staple.

Another big part of what is driving my consideration is that I now have written over 1,000 posts. With the growth in the number of followers of this blog, I’m now in a situation where perhaps 80% of my readers haven’t experienced about 80% of those posts, and many of what I consider to be my best posts are the ones that will never be seen by most of my followers. I have been re-posting some of the older posts but don’t want this blog to largely become a series of reruns for long-time readers–and as the readership grows, so do my concerns regarding this aspect.

Also, my perception is that out of about 518 followers, only about 30 comment with some frequency. About 94% have almost never or very rarely comment or even “Like” my posts. I’m trying to make sense of that. Is it that 94% who “follow” this blog don’t like it or that I really have only about 30 followers? I’m just attempting to get a better understanding of the situation. From there I can decide what, if anything, I want to do about it.

I figured that if I tried focusing some of my blogs on specific areas in which I and readers of those blogs share a passion, I might be able to find answers to some of my questions, might have a higher percentage of followers who enjoy or are passionate about what I write, and, as a major bonus to me (and perhaps to some of those readers), much of the material that I’ve written over the last three years will find a new and perhaps more interested audience.

This entry was posted in Change, Choices, Following Your Passion and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Hearing You, and More Reasons for Considering Changes

1. Kristi says:

I hear you Russ. It can be confusing, to find that balance of our own passion and what others like. I always enjoy your personal posts, because of their authentic character (and the author). I’m not sure, if you’re asking for an opinion, but maybe you could ask yourself what was the original reason, why this blog came to life. What was your why? Sometimes, it helps to go back to basics, to the roots. 🙂 Whatever you decide, I’m liking, commenting and reading.

Thank you for your feedback, suggestions, and especially for your enthusiastic support Kristi. My original intent of blogging was to present my various writing projects and processes with those who enjoy reading them.

I’ve lost that focus and appear to have attracted a large percentage of followers who don’t seem to be interested in what I’m am especially passionate about–including substantial numbers of the most interactive core group of supporters.

I’m trying to bring the focus and passion back in a way that I’m less likely to lose either again.

As I mentioned before, even if you split the blog, I will enjoy your advice, quotes, poetry, so I am with you whatever you decide!

3. Joancallaghan says:

Hi Russ- You have a lot of things to think about. I have been following and I am one of your readers that rarely comments- seeing your new grandchildren, well- I just have to offer my congrats. Please know that the posts of yours that touch me the most, have got to be, hands down the posts the reflect your vulnerability as a person who makes is a priority to be a better person.
    You share your feelings, lessons, reflections and most importantly your love.
    Sharing your journey as you grow creatively has moved me deeply. Do what moves you and “they will come”- I know I did- kind regards, Joan

4. Redneck Garage says:

Russ, I gave up on following the number of visits, likes or comments. While all of these are encouraging to see and read, I found what makes me happiest on my blog is just writing what is on my heart. Those who are interested will read my post and maybe comment, the rest will miss out. Follow your heart and not the stats. Patrick

5. billgncs says:

congrats on 1,000 posts

I think many followers are people who start blogging and then quit.

6. I understand your questions.. I only have maybe 20 followers who ‘like’ or comment on a regular basis even though statistically I have over 300 followers. I think for sure some like some of my posts more than others.. As far as ‘likes’ go sometimes people just forget to do so and some rarely comment. But it doesn’t I don’t think follow that there are those that read but do not like or comment. I do tend to critique what I’ve written based on that fact though. I find if I write ‘fluff’ or Daily Prompts for example that they don’t get many likes or comments UNLESS it is something of a personal nature..

But writing diverse subjects on a whim or a planned topic is what I personally set out to do. Write what I want and if people choose to read it then that’s good and encouraging..and if not, I guess it’s just not a topic they can relate to.

I did a ‘fluff’ piece quite a while ago that was done for a specific blogger… and I still get stats that say people are still reading it.. no likes or comments just in the stats… and yet another post maybe that I put my heart and soul into hardly got any response at all… ‘go figure’

You’ll know what you want to do at some point and so you just go for it… anyway… tmi… Diane

7. just an added thought Russ… your ‘like’ button is not working with this post… They are very temperamental on all blogs… Diane

8. lol I told you they’re temperamental… I just went and rechecked and it’s back on…. Diane

Oh well, I appreciate you original heads-up anyway!

• just one thing about that… many times I go to sights and it doesn’t ‘come back’….there end of long comment… lol Diane

I’m not quite sure I understand your last comment. If you mean that sometimes you leave long comments at some bloggers sites without getting a response, I can see how that would be frustrating. Hopefully you’ve never experienced that with me. If it ever happens on one of my sites, please bring it to my attention. My intention is to respond to everyone who makes a comment.

• Sorry I wasn’t clear…I meant sometimes when the like button doesn’t let you ‘like’ it … sometimes after leaving a comment ..it does… but more often than not .. It does not come back on and let you…

I guess I felt I had left you too long a comment on the subject and so was being too brief in the last one I did… Hope I haven’t still confused you… sometimes the more that I tried to clarify the more confusing I got lol Diane

9. strokedtolife says:

Please forgive me but I totally thought that I had responded to your post about starting some different blogs.
    I love your posts Russ. I haven’t been able to comment on everything, especially as of late, but I appreciate the work you do.
    Whatever you decide to do I support you my friend.

There is nothing to forgive, Kendra. While I always appreciate hearing from you, I understand how busy life can be, and am grateful that you are in my life in whatever way that works for you.

10. bulldog says:

Russ when you can make sense of the “Likes” and comments… please share… I cannot make head or tail of it and often wonder if people are getting tired of my posts… then again I think am I posting for the likes and comments or am I doing it for fun… fun tends to win out with me…

Hi Russ, I ca’t figure it all out either – and I too have tried. I can offer up no insight into why people comment or don’t. Speaking for myself – I don’t expect comments when I put up a quote or a youtube video. I’m hoping people will ‘like’ them but rarely do I expect the comments I receive. For as long as I continue my blog (and I struggle with that question too), I decided that I am grateful for the readership I have, and will accept that some are probably ‘spam’ followers and others are truly in a circle I cherish. Your blog is a source of inspiration and delight. To me,that is the the bottom line.