“I Think You May Have Dropped This, Ma’am”

My Beloved and I were out on the town with some other couples when an elderly woman who appeared quite down on her luck and perhaps homeless walked up to our group and asked if we were going in a specific direction. We said we were. She asked if we could perhaps give a lift to her because she had someplace important to be and had no car or money.

As we had driven together, the owner of the car said, “Sorry, our car is too small and we can’t help you.” Then he walked away.

When no one was looking, another member of our group took some money from his wallet and dropped it on the ground. He then bent down to pick it up and handed it to the elderly lady. As he did so, he said, “I think you may have dropped this ma’am. It should be enough to hire a taxi to take you to where you want to go.”

The elderly woman’s eyes misted over with happiness and surprise as she took the money. She gave a knowing and grateful look to him as she thanked him.

I’ll never forget the feeling I had when I saw the look in the woman’s eyes.

Those eyes reminded me once again how small kindnesses can make huge differences in the lives of others, and it brightened my evening and lifted my spirit to experience it.

This entry was posted in Choices, Compassion, Generosity, Kindness and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to “I Think You May Have Dropped This, Ma’am”

1. It is a most beautiful example of how kindness can be shown in so many ways… Diane

2. Sometimes when we see the homeless if we were to think “there but for the grace of god” people would be more compassionate

I like to think so, Joanne. I have a choice when I see a homeless person. I can judge or be kind to them. The latter makes me feel more connected to my spirit, to the homeless person, and to humanity in general. To me it is a simple and easy choice, yet I still occasionally catch myself making the unkind decision. I have much to learn.

3. billgncs says:

I think you have just defined a gentleman.

4. bulldog says:

Now that was tactfully done and a great story to share… how to give without making someone feel they are being made a charity case… wonderful tip thanks Russ…

What a beautiful idea to do it this way, as she might not have accepted it being given to her directly. Lovey kindness story. I wonder if I can give Penny this link as she collects those stories and posts them for others to read…
    Here is Penny’s blog link, don’t know if you know her.http://thewhyaboutthis.com/2013/09/10/love-a-sparrow-and-whats-important/
    it would be great to publish that story on her kindness tab too!
    Thanks Russ

6. You’re such a good man Russ. It is an honor to know you.

7. Penny L Howe says:

What an excellent kindness story Russ. Don’t you think we pass our love of live and humanity on to others when we do acts of kindness, share acts of kindness and pass them on! Thank you, this is wonderful! 🙂 Penny

8. BeWithUs says:

Not only having a kind heart, but a thoughtful soul with something that we all need to learn from…if that member of your group is a friend…he is definitely a friend to keep for you can learn so much more from him/her…

Thank you for sharing, a lesson well-learned after reading this. Cheers!! 😀

9. Mrs. P says:

One of the best Thanksgiving dinners I ever had was at a time in which I found the need to be at a homeless shelter, for my survival. Although I had always considered homeless people to be a bit “less than” I found that, in reality, they are very compassionate people who, for various reasons are where they are…homeless.

A local church organization provided daily meals (three/day) for the homeless which allowed us to survive without going hungry. On Thanksgiving, the city opinion leaders participate in a huge Thanksgiving day meal. The place was decorated festively, including live flower and candle centerpieces. Normally (at this place) food is served cafeteria style but on this day all of the people were seated restaurant style. Your waitperson for the day might be the mayor or the leading news anchor person. They would take your order, bring drinks and serve you. All of this was done with warmth and sincerity. I don’t think I have ever experienced such genuine caring before this. Those opinion leaders really went out of their way to make sure that all of the needy who came, felt like they were the guest of honor at an important meal. It really change my perspective of charity and my attitude toward others in need of charity.

10. Pingback: Acts of Kindness – Connecting With Others! | TheWhyAboutThis

11. lvsrao says:

Encouraging post. Nice one.