“When Did You Choose To Be Straight?”

I just saw a short video showing an off-screen interviewer asking random people on the street if they thought being gay was a choice. Their answers were all over the board. The interviewer then asked, “When did you choose to be straight?” It was as if a light had just been turned on in many of the interviewees heads. They’d never been asked that question—a question that apparently many gay people are frequently asked.

Then the interviewer asked the same people, “When do you think gay people chose to be gay?” It seemed like another light bulb went off in many of their heads.

It is an amazing example as to the power of words, when a simple, slight change to an often-asked question can create such an interesting reaction.

Love,

This entry was posted in Observations, Vids & Stories That Touched Me and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to “When Did You Choose To Be Straight?”

1. I wonder how many thought, or said “I just am” and still didn’t get it. Great post.

2. billgncs says:

one of my childhood friends was molested as a youth and wound up playing on that side of the fence. I often wonder if somebody chose for him.

That also happened to at least one of my childhood friends, and he too had same-gender sexual partners. While that’s a very small sample size from which to draw any conclusions, it is an intriguing coincidence.

3. Cathy Ulrich says:

So very true, Russ!

Thank you, Elana. I hoped some would find and link to it.

• gita4elamats says:

My pleasure! Interesting that you both posted it on the same day. 🙂

I wish I’d seen Paulette’s blog first as I then could have re-blogged it and it would have come with the video. I hope everyone who is interested will see your comment with the link and watch it, or will go to her blog and do the same.

• gita4elamats says:

Or you could edit your post and add this link: http://youtu.be/QJtjqLUHYoY

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried to do that originally but couldn’t get it to “stick”. About a week ago WP started making me sign in or fill in details such as my user ID, email address, and URL almost every time I make a comment, etc. I’ve played by the rules and behaved myself but feel that for some reason I appear to have been put in the corner. I sure wish I could figure out why and get the situation corrected.

4. Absolutely brilliant, Russ!

5. willowdot21 says:

I find it hard to understand the stupid childish views so many people hold against homosexuals and lesbians ……….. the word gay irritates me they are just people!