Vow To A Broken Man

To send a card
Or bother to call

Barely able to breathe
Alone and in pain
I felt betrayed
And they were to blame

But the truth came suddenly
A cold and bitter wind
To have the love I wanted
I’d need to BE a better friend

I made a vow to the broken man
Who had ‘til then been me
I’d get well and then become
The best friend that I could be

I became one who could be counted on
No matter what the plight
From a shoulder to cry on
To help on a rainy night

My life is so much better
I am truly blessed
For when it comes to friends
I now have the very best

–Russ Towne

This entry was posted in Adversity, Anger, Friendship, Illness, LIfe Lessons, Loss, Observations, Pain & Grief, Poetry I Wrote, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Vow To A Broken Man

1. bulldog says:

Oh how true these words are Russ… to receive one must first give without expecting anything in return.. then one makes friends… yet I have met so many that won’t go to visit a friend in hospital as they don’t know what to say to them… funny that when all one wants is company that will talk about anything except ones problems…

I believe you are right on regarding giving without expecting anything in return. That is a key. (Identifying and avoiding sponges is another! ;-D! ) Being there without saying a word is often enough. It says I care and that right now I’d rather be with you than anywhere else. That’s a powerful message.

Thank you for your comments, bulldog.

I find only later in life you really make the best friends. I have only one friedn left from Germany when I left the country, but now as you here in London and living here for the last 25 years, I have the best ever. We are blessed and I cherish and love my wonderful friends.
    Giving without expecting has to be learnt, as everyone always wants something in return. A good healthy relationship with yourself is the best beginning! Great poem Russ!!

Thank you for your kind comments and insights, Ute. I’m glad–but not surprised–that you have such wonderful friends, as the reflect the wonderful person you are.

I agree that a good healthy relationship with oneself is an excellent place to start. I’ve still got a lot more work to do!

3. Sad, beautiful, poignant and inspirational.

4. It’s a lesson that we must learn….Diane

I can’t imagine this as a lesson you had to learn Russ..and though I delight to know you are well, I still maintain that you are arguably a model for friendship that others would be well-served to emulate.

6. I’m with Mimi, Russ. Cannot imagine that YOU would ever be in this man’s shoes. You clearly understand what it means to give from the heart. Your kindness comes through in every post….

7. It’s a hard lesson. But wow what a rewarding one.

8. Isn’t it great to BE a LIVING miracle of change? Our mess. His message.

9. willowdot21 says:

Never a truer word spoken!