“If Only…”

His dreams inside

Paralyzed in the present
By mistakes of the past
Gave up on living
Until dying at last

Few words are so cruel
Or have ruined more lives
They corrode the spirit
And cut like knives

Two little words
But oh the cost
Dreams shattered
And lives lost

Don’t suffer the fate
Of broken-winged birds
Time to break free
From those two little words

–Russ Towne

This entry was posted in Dreams, Failure, Observations, Poetry I Wrote, Regret and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to “If Only…”

1. I was just saying yesterday in a comment to another blogger how I spent too many years saying ‘if only’ in my mind and in my heart. It keeps you tied to the past when the present and the future is there to behold..Diane

2. bulldog says:

How true… the “if only” of our lives and not only that, but the “what if”

3. arrwstos says:

I would really like to say thanks so much for your job you have made in writing this blog post. I am hoping to see more of the same from you in the future as well.

4. jolynproject says:

Simply beautiful. It’s amazing how little words can have such big effects in our lives.

5. Andrea Kelly says:

Fantastic! You just keep getting better and better, my friend 🙂 Keep em coming!

6. russtowne says:

Reblogged this on Clyde and Friends and commented:

I’m committed to living my life in such a way that these two little words will never have the chance to consume me.