Family Nights

This is a repost that has been updated for newer friends.

Family Nights

Picture if you will all the noise and people during rush hour in Grand Central Station, the commotion and energy of a busy dog park, the love and joy of a raucous religious revival, the laughter and entertainment of a circus, and a meal fit for a king but large enough to feed an army, and you begin to have some idea as to what it is like to be at our house on most Sunday nights.

That’s because we celebrate Family Night on Sundays, and all of the above is usually generated by just my immediate family. And our dogs. Six dogs.

It’s also a bit like a mini United Nations (without all the rancor, bickering, and squabbling) as my immediate family represents races from three continents–-four if you count my nephew and his family who often join us.

If I ever needed a reminder as to how much abundance and love is in my life, Family Night would serve that purpose.

Family Nights now include 3 and sometimes 4 generations, as our first grandchild has arrived, and my in-laws are also sometimes able to join us.

Speaking of our grandson, he has of course become the star of the show. Even our wonderfully entertaining dogs all enthusiastically playing together can’t compete with this latest attraction.

We also often have a conference call with our son who is a Captain who is in the U.S. Air Force and temporarily stationed in Texas and his delightful wife. They are expecting their first child and our second grandchild. YAHOOOOO!

Family Nights are one of my favorite experiences of the week. In the midst of all the noise and activity, I often sit back and soak it all in, savoring every second of our time together, feeling incredibly grateful to be blessed with having so many wonderful people in my life who know all my faults and love me anyway.

Love,

This entry was posted in Abundance, Children, Family "Fun", Grandparenting & Grandkids, Love, Parenting, True Stories I've Written and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Family Nights

Sounds like our house when we’re all together for Sunday brunch…it is the most gratifying, delicious time of the week!!

Gratifying and delicious! I like the sound of that! “Delicious” is a great word for describing a gathering.

BTW, it reminded me of “satisfying and delicious” a long-time tag line for some product in ads.

• mimijk says:

Ok, now that I remember that too – what was the ad for? 😉

LOL! I tried to recall what the prodct was when I sent the earlier message and couldn’t, so I was hoping YOU’D remember. Images of coffee, something that pours into a cup or bowl, or some other food item come to mind, but I don’t know. I think the ad was from the 60’s or maybe even 50’s and was on TV. I know that ages me. You’re much too young to have seen it when it was originally on TV, so you must have seen it decades later when watching a show about commercials from that era.

Strangely, the “I Love Lucy” Vitemeatavegamin” show also comes to mind. “It’s so tasty too!”

2. I can feel the love and joy In every line, Russ. Beautiful…..

3. bulldogsturf says:

How I wish I could just attend one family night at your gathering… sounds so great… we are lucky if we get to do this once a year let alone every Sunday night…

You’re invited as our honored guest! Please let me know when and if you are ever in the San Francisco Bay Area. We’d love to have you join us. Come hungry. You might want to consider having ear plugs handy. It can get kinda noisy!

4. Memories being made…I would imagine with the newest little addition that there are cameras busy…Diane

Hi, Diane. Strangely, actually not a lot of photos are taken at our house. Not sure why. I guess we’re mostly kind of camera-shy. Also, I find that when I’m taking a photo the cameara kind of takes me out of the moment, and if it’s a special moment I want to soak it all in without anything between me and that moment. Still, more photos would be a good thing. Thank you for the reminder!

5. russtowne says:

Reblogged this on Clyde and Friends and commented:

Updates: My son and his wife who were stationed in Texas have been transferred to Illinois, and just gave TWO more grandsons to us. Our cup runneth over and I happily slurp up every juicy drop of the sweet nectar of our blessings. I know that good times don’t last forever–nor, thankfully, do bad times–so I’ve learned to make the most of good times while they’re here.