A Goofy Encounter

When My Beloved and I were married, she had a little Honda Civic that was not much bigger than a basketball and a personalized license plate that read, “I GOOFY”.

As it turns out, a 100-minute one-way commute caused us to swap cars to save money as her car had much better gas mileage than mine. So, as luck would have it, Mr. Serious who was a shade under 6 feet tall ended up driving a motorized basketball to work with “I GOOFY” license plates. The universe sometimes has a wicked sense of humor!

I gradually became much goofier, but not much shorter!

One day, when I was driving down the highway, a woman started honking her horn at me. I couldn’t figure out why. I hadn’t done anything rude to her. She weaved between cars and eventually became abreast of me in the lane to my left, frantically pointing to the front and back of my car, then the front and back of her car, then back again. I still had no clue what this crazy woman was trying to communicate to me.

She then sped up slightly so that I could see the back of her car. As I looked for clues, I knew instantly what she was trying to convey. Her license plate read:

“GOOFY 1”

Two goofy people had found each other and she wanted to say “hi” and acknowledge and celebrate our shared goofiness.

A big smile spread across my face. I gave a friendly honk and a thumbs-up sign to her. She returned the gestures, and in a flash she was gone.

The memory of that moment still brings a smile to my face.

This entry was posted in Humor, True Stories I've Written and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Goofy Encounter

1. Professions for PEACE says:

Hey this looks familiar! ๐Ÿ˜€ Isn’t it great when a reply goes so well it becomes a post in its own right? This story certainly makes me laugh out loud, especially imagining you in her tiny car, and how the universe has a wicked sense of humor! Indeed it does, and so do you my friend. Great post. ~Gina

2. russtowne says:

LOL! Yes, I realized as I finished typing my reply to you that others may also appreciate reading the story, so you ended up having to read it twice. See what you started? ;-D!

Thank you, Gina. I’ve been told on multiple occasions that my humor is so dry that I should use emoticons so people will know that what I’m saying is being asid with a wink and a smiling face. I can get awfully serious sometimes, so it’s nice to try to lighten up a bit for the sake of my readers as well as myself.

3. Just thought I’d mention the last two or possibly 3 times I’ve tried to ‘like’ and then comment I’ve had to sign in again….sorry …don’t know if it’s happened to anyone else….Diane

Thank you for letting me know, Diane. Didn’t you have that probem with my site once before that got fixed by my delinking from Facebook? This time I’m not linked to FB. Thank you for trying to likeand comment too!

Is anyone else experiencing the same frustrating thing with my site. If so, any suggestions?

Thank you!

4. Mustang.Koji says:

LOL. You should be glad it didn’t happen in LA – that gal that honked may have been shot for honking her horn so much!

5. JanBeek says:

Thanks for sharing the smile – ;o) ๐Ÿ™‚

6. A Dog With Fleas says:

I love this story! Put a smile on my face.

7. thoughtsfromanamericanwoman says:

You have been nominated for the The Booker award. Super sweet blogging award
    Blessings, Patty

8. What a funny moment! I love all the goofs out there. ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Lori Lipsky says:

I loved this brief story of two goofs finding each other for a moment.

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, and it was a moment that would not have occurred without her making the extra effort–and looking goofy to everyone aroud her. She lived up to a label that she clearly proudly wheres. To me that is a sign of integrity.

10. optimisticgladness says:

It brings a smile to my face too.