Rainstorm Moments and Memories

I write this while sitting outside in a heavy downpour. Technically, I’m outside typing on an electrical device while sitting in the open just covered by the edge of an overhang. I’m about as near as one can be without getting soaked. Large drops splatter so close I feel the cool mist on my face. The intoxicating fragrance of the sweet freshness of rain falling on aromatic flowers tantalizes my nostrils and speaks to my spirit, promising life, growth, and abundance.

Raindrops caress silky petals, gifting them with nature’s pearls, sparkling with the radiance of diamonds. The flowers seem even prouder of their elegance when enhanced by such adornments.

Two sets of wind chimes vie for my attention with beautiful melodies, capturing the wind while being captured by it in a timeless dance. One chime passionately proclaims of romantic young lovers, the other whispers of those who’ve shared a lifetime of memories.

For a moment, I’m tempted to stand in the downpour, reveling in the physical sensations it offers. Memories flow of such times. The staccato taps on my head and shoulders, the way it caresses with cold fingers as it slides down my face, brings chills to my spine, and whispers ever-so-softly as it falls from my ears.

My sweet reverie is interrupted as the rain falls no more, but my smile and memories linger…

This entry was posted in Beauty, Blessings, Nature, Writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Rainstorm Moments and Memories

1. Val Boyko says:

Living on the edge in the moment is awesome! I’m right there … and need a cold drink/shower and an umbrella. Thanks Russ for transporting me!

2. Mrs. P says:

Magnificent piece of writing…you captured it so well. Really fantastic job, Russ!

3. Cathy Ulrich says:

I feel it with you, Russ. Beautiful piece…

4. Beautiful!!! 🙂 Made me smile.

Beautifully written, and finally you had some rain, as your country really needed it.
    It is wonderful how you discribed the moment , the present and the feeling and sensation from this. Super writing it makes the reader being part of it! ( I am almost soaked and love it) 🙂

LOL! Thank you, Ute. Yes our “semi-arid” region is far more arid than semi this late in our so-called “Rainy” season. Some small towns may completely run out of water this summer. My town isn’t one of them, but I feel for those whose taps may soon run dry. I miss the liquid giver of life and revel in it when it makes its infrequent cameo appearances.

What a perfect moment – so happy that you captured it!

7. What a lovely moment – you captured it so well Russ.
    Diana xo

8. I adore this post ~ I felt like I was right there with you! 🙂

9. JanBeek says:

In my e-mail box this came in poetry format. Here it is written as prose, in paragraph format. But, you can’t fool me, Russ! It’s poetry… however you transcribe it! And your poetic heart speaks to mine every time I visit A Grateful Man. Thank you for sharing this refreshing experience!