Hearing the Whispers

A reader recently mentioned something along the lines that knowing who we are is one of the toughest jobs a person can undertake.

I agree. I think it is far easier to do so when one removes the distractions, such as when one meditates, is alone in nature, or works alone. It is when I began being alone for extended periods that I could best begin to hear what my heart and spirit had been whispering to me all along.

As I type the word “alone”, the spelling reminds me of “all one”, as in my heart, spirit and mind are most likely to be aligned and all one when I’m alone.

I also often feel the most connected to everyone and everything/all one when my heart, spirit, mind, thoughts, word, and actions are aligned.

Love,

This entry was posted in Awareness, Breakthroughs, Challenges, Meditation, Observations and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Hearing the Whispers

1. It sounds like a spiritual exercise Russ. Are you an extravert? I am and it seems extraverts need to be alone to be spiritual and introverts need be with people for a spiritual experience. What do you think?

I’m definitely an introvert. I used to think I was shy, but found I’m just introverted. Groups of more than a few people create a sensory overload within me and I have to frequently de-tox by getting away by myself. I’m most energized and creative when I’m by myself. That’s why blogging and writing works so much better for me than being at social events. I’d have guessed that you are an extrovert. You appear to me to be someone who’d be a lot of fun to be with at social events.

• Actually I am confused by that. I always thought that it is extroverts who crave people and external stimuli and that is where they draw their strengths; and that it is introverts (myself included) that need to be alone to get this spiritual uplifting.

Hi, Elizabeth. I find that labels can confuse things. I believe that most often people are on a continuum, and while they may be closer to one end of it than the other and therefore labeled one thing or another, they may have attributes of both, depending on a large variety of factors. That is perhaps why Diana is labeled one thing but has some attributes of the other.

2. bulldog says:

that alone time certain aids the finding of oneself… but to me the most important is the acceptance of what you find.. and sometimes one discovers things you don’t like but cannot change…

Excellent points, bulldog! I believe that when one grows to love and accept even the parts about themselves that they are most ashamed of or embarrassed by–as soul mates and kindred spirits often do–the typically quite elusive inner peace is likely to grow.

3. melodylowes says:

I’m one of those who rebuilds being alone – and usually nature does that more for me than other things, which is why I love spring so much! This was beautiful, Russ.

Nature works wonders for me too, Melody. Especially the soothing sound of water (whether ocean waves, waterfalls, or forest streams), meadows adorned with flowers, and redwood and fern groves. Thank you for your kind comment, Melody.

4. You are so right about that, Russ. I like your “alone” and “all one,” makes a lot of sense to me.

5. It is interesting that when my husband left me, I felt lonely when I was with other people (as these were times we would have previously shared); yet when ‘alone’ I felt creative and alive.
    I can appreciate your thoughts that ‘alone’ actually means “all one”. I agree with that. Great post.