Braces

(A repost for newer readers to this site.)

Sometimes it is really tough to be a kid. When both of our boys needed braces we knew they were in for a rough time. In those days braces tended to be made out of highly visible shiny metal, and painful. We also knew that some kids would make fun of their “railroad tracks” and that could be hard on their self-esteem.

From the perspective of our sons, there was yet another big negative. The dentist gave to them a long list of chewy, gooey, wonderful things that they could not eat for the entire time they had to wear the braces, and they were warned that if they did eat the banned items they could cause permanent damage to their teeth and expensive damage to their braces.

The looks on their faces fell and stayed that way as the time for braces neared.

It hurt my beloved wife and me to see them so sad, so we discussed the situation. We agreed that there wasn’t much we could do about the emotional and physical pain, nor the taunting that they were likely to get at school, beyond our being open to discussing such things at whatever level the boys might feel comfortable doing so. We didn’t want to “baby” them, and we wanted to support them in a healthy way. We were also concerned that they might have a very hard time refraining from all of the goodies that were on the dentist’s banned list, so we came up with an idea that we thought might at least remove some of the sting of getting braces.

A week or two before they were scheduled to get their braces, Beloved and I sat them down and said we knew it would be tough to keep from eating all the things that were on the banned list for the whole time they wore their braces, so were were willing to make a deal with them.

We’d take them to the grocery store and let them each cram as many of their favorite items from the banned list as they could into their own large lunch bag, and then we’d let them eat it all.

We told them that we expected four things in return, that they’d:

Continue to eat 3 healthy meals per day
Thoroughly brush their teeth a minimum of 3 times every day
Finish eating everything in the bag or hand over any that they hadn’t eaten before the braces were put on
They wouldn’t eat any of the items on the banned list for the whole time their braces were on.

Their faces lit up as they enthuiastically agreed to the terms of our agreement, so we jumped into the car and went to the grocery store with their two empty bags.

Talk about kids in a candy store! They quickly and enthusiasticy filled their bags with with all kinds of wonderful stuff, carefully using every millimeter of space as they scienticically jammed more of their treasure into their bulging bags.

When we got home they were thrilled with all of their treasures and began to enjoy their bounty. They were so happy that I think they even completely forgot about the braces for awhile.

We ensured that they had healthy meals and brushed their teeth often, but otherwise left them to their goodies.

As we’d hoped, by the time their braces went on the boys were so sick of all that junk that quite a long time elapsed before they even wanted to begin to think about eating anything on the banned list again!

This entry was posted in Challenges, Children, Parenting, True Stories I've Written and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Braces

1. A Dog With Fleas says:

Such a good idea and a great story. Sometimes to much of a good thing doesn’t turn out so good! 🙂

Thank you. I agree with what you said about what can happen when one has too much of a good thing. My Beloved and I went wine tasting today and I can safely say that I had a bit too much of a good thing and it may not turn out so good. Over the decades I’ve gradually become a real light weight when it comes to alcohol consumption. I just took some Alka Seltzer.

2. Sometimes to get ahead ya have to swim *with* the current rather than against it. You and your beloved are very wise…. 🙂

3. billgncs says:

laughing — good idea!

4. strokedtolife says:

Brilliant!

5. Great idea ….Now braces are almost a status symbol but was not always so…..Diane

Thank you, Diane. They certainly weren’t a status symbol during my childhood. Fortunately I never needed braces, but I had some siblings who weren’t so lucky.

I hope you had a great weekend. I just got to play with my grandson during Family Night so I’m grinning from ear to ear.

• I used to see kids with braces when I went to school and just knew they were rich….because not only were they not popular …they cost a small fortune.

Glad you had some fun with the little one…I can still see your grin,,,,lol Diane

My dad was a TV repairman with 5 kids. I think it’s safe to say that no one thought we were rich! ;-D!

As for your comment about my grin: :-D!

• Last comment…..just to clarify….it was only my thought about being rich because with my Mom being a single Mom….we only went to the dentist for having a tooth pulled usually…didn’t mean to drag the comment on…sorry…Diane

My dear friend, no clarification is necessary. I knew that you were coming from loving a place with your comments, and were not hinting that my family was rich or that being rich was a bad thing. I apologize for not being more clear that I understood and was replying with a wink and a smile. You would have a hard time offending me, Diane, as a LOT of positive relationship credit has been built up in your account with me.

6. jolynproject says:

This is a great idea! I need to do this before I begin eating vegan (whenever that’ll be). Sometimes, us, adults need an empty bag so when can I come by so you can cram a whole bunch of sweets in there? lol

7. mindfuldiary says:

Such a great way to deal with it! Will remember this story. 🙂