You Are A Star

I mentioned yesterday that I planned to find a few young children who have life-threatening long-term illnesses and are bed-ridden or hospitalized for extended periods and create (hopefully) uplifting and inspiring personalized songs for them that they and their parents can play.

The project now has a name (though if I find it has already been taken by another organization then I’ll create a new one): You Are A Star.

I’ve begun the process of identifying children and their parents, as well as vocalist/musicians and recording/studio producers who will (hopefully) volunteer their time to bring the lyrics I write to life for the children and their families.

This entry was posted in Children, Making the World a Better Place, Songwriting Adventure and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to You Are A Star

1. Blessings dear Russ for being a star that shines bright. Sharon

2. Andrea Kelly says:

What a fantastic idea! I wish you luck on this next endeavor 🙂

3. It is a wonderful idea Russ….Diane

4. This is a wonderful idea, Russ! Are you supported by any organisation too? I would love to do the same, not just for children but also others who suffer terminal illnesses. Only I’m such a sad creature I doubt I can write uplifting lyrics. Maybe I’ll do better sticking to writing things that trigger emotions and raise awareness for families of those who are terminally ill. Keep going, Russ, I hope this goes well!

Thank you, Rustic. No organizations are supporting me with this idea. If the project does what I believe it can for children and their families, I will most likely find ways to expand it. I may have a contact or two who might be able to connect me to the Ronald McDonald House and to the Lucille Packard foundation so I may have sources of referrals for children and their families who are going throug living nightmares.

I don’t know you well enough to know whether you were serious or just kidding about your being such a sad creature, but if it was the former, you have my condolences. It is not fun going through life feeling sad. I hope that you will find what you seek here and elsewhere that will help you to create more joy in your life.

I don’t know yet what your gifts are, my friend, but this I do know: You have some wonderful gifts to share with the world that it badly needs. I hope that if you haven’t discovered them yet, that you keep looking until you do, and when you find them, I know that you and the world will be better for it as you share them.

I can give clues to you as to where to look: The sources of your greatest pain, trauma, or sadness are often also the catalysts of one’s greatest gifts for the world. For many people some of the greatest emotional damage happens between the ages of about 4 and 8 years old, but can occur at any age.

I know that life can be hard. You won’t have to dig very deep into this blog to learn that my father left my mother with 3 young children and one still in the womb when I was the oldest child and only 4-1/2 years old, that I nearly died of Whooping Cough as a young child, had many lung collapses and endured two lung surgeries in my teens, got dumped by a fiance’, nearly lost my daughter to an incurable disease, suffered some business failures including one that drove me to personal bankruptcy and erased the financial resources of a lifetime of hard work, and most recently my Beloved had thyroid cancer.

I am a better person for having experienced each of these very unpleasant things. I wouldn’t wish them on anyone, but they happened. I can’t change that. I can focus on what lessons I can learn from each and can have empathy for others who are going through their own tough times.

I believe that virtually everyone has similar stories of hardship, pain, trauma, and heart-ache.

It isn’t the stories that matter.

What matters is what we choose to do with the the miracle of each new day of life.

May we all choose wisely.

Hello again, Rustic. I apologize for the long and preachy comment below. I blame it on temporary insanity–and it may not be temporary. I truly appreciate your comments and good wishes!

• HI Russ, not preachy at all – they are great points to share and I appreciate your taking time to write! You’ve gone through a lot, and are very strong to keep going – which is great! I’m still feeling my way around so I’m sure I’ll get to wherever I should be. Am trying as much as possible to share what I know and can, to help wherever too. I admire still, your passion to help others in need and when circumstances permit, I shall try to do so in where I am geographically situated too. You are a true inspiration. Please keep writing, Russ, I’m definite someone else halfway round the globe will emulate and make the world a better place 🙂

Thank you, Rustic. Your message means a lot to me. If you are still feeling your way around, perhaps it is simply that your wounds are newer or deeper. Or both. I have no doubt that you are indeed doing what you can to help others as circumstances permit. That is wonderful! Thank you for working to make the world a better place!

5. Rhonda says:

So happy to see this in forward motion Russ. Best wishes and praying you get the support you need to make this happen. And hoping you have found some of the answers, and some peace of mind, for some of your concerns. This is such a wonderful gift to share.
    Rhonda

6. JanBeek says:

I found this entry and answered my own questions about what You Are A Star is all about. I wish you much success with this venture, Russ. Sounds wonderful!!