“Unfinished Business”

I believe that you are in for a special treat with this post. Awhile back I had a conversation with Denis Loiseau my co-writer of most of my completed songs. In fact, if you don’t like my songs he is the one to blame because it was he who got me into songwriting so of course it’s ALL his fault! ;-D!

As a co-writer with about ten years of experience at the time, Denis generously offered to try an experimental co-write with songrwriting newbie me. My first song and our first song together was “What Kind Of Man Does That”. Since that beginning about two and a half years ago we’ve co-written 6 songs together, and are about to begin working on a seventh. Every step of the way, Denis has patiently and generously shared his songwriting knowledge, experience, and wisdom. I am very grateful that he is in my life.

Anyway, back to the conversation I had with him and the speial treat I promised. I mentioned this blog and mentioned how absolutely wonderful you dear readers are. I told him that I believe that many of you would love to hear his other songs and offered to let him present his work via this blog. I suggested that he include a brief writeup about each song. Below is his email accepting my invitation and including one of my favoirites of his songs. I believe you’ll know why when you hear it.

Please let me know if the link doesn’t work and if you can’t cut and paste the URL into your browser. As you’ve probably noticed, links and I don’t often see eye to eye no matter how hard I try. ;-D!

Hi Russ.

Thanks for your offer to post a few my songs on your blog. I spent some time reviewing it today and enjoyed experiencing what you are are doing – a lot of love.

I thought I’d start first with “Unfinished Business,” which I co-wrote with Jeff Wessman and which I think your audience might appreciate. It explores the vulnerability and courage of a father and son facing unresolved issues from their past before it’s too late, and also the gift of love between them.

Here is a link which contains a link to an MP3, followed by the lyric: http://www.denisloiseau.com/music-54.html.

For what it’s worth, to get the true emotional impact of a song, I like to listen to it first, and wait to read the lyric until afterward. The reading tends to take most of us into our heads, diluting the stronger magic that is the song.

Thanks again for making a broader audience available to hear our work, and now broadening your scope to include other work that might speak to you. You are a generous and warm soul, and I’m looking forward to our next endeavor.

Please feel free to share any or none of my words as you see fit.

Blessings,

Denis

This entry was posted in Creativity, Songwriting Adventure and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to “Unfinished Business”

1. manty67 says:

What a lovely song, with heart felt words. I look forward to hearing and reading your next song that you write together 🙂

2. Rhonda says:

It’s a lovely song, the music perfectly places me where I need to be to hear those words. Well done to your friend Denis and his co-writer Jeff. Russ, you are in good company to be sure.

This is fabulous Russ – thank you for adding some wonderful music to my day!!

4. Hi Russ – wow. My brother is taking care of our very elderly father…where it’s not always been easy, and this song hits home for both he and I, but I suspect it will strike some deep chords within him. Thank you for sharing, I’ll be sharing the link to this post with him {he’s not a blogger :)}.

5. It was a beautiful song….Diane

6. Mrs. P says:

Hi Russ, I’ve been perusing your song writing posts, which have been very educational and I wanted to comment on two points.First, this is a beautiful song and your lyrics seem to be so much better since you decided to write about what’s real to you.

And I like your comment about listening to the song first before reading the lyrics…it’s the way I always do it…if I like it well enough, then I go back and read the lyrics.your songwriting is inspirational…perhaps one day, after I finish the house, this might be an area of creative stretch that I might be interested in trying…for the same reasons you do. Thanks for the continued inspiration.

Hi, Mrs. P. Thank you for your kind message. To clarify a couple of things about this song, I’m not the co-writer on it. Denis Loiseau wrote it and his co-writer on it s Jeff Wessman. I’m just a big fan of the song. Denis and I co-wrote several other songs a number of years ago (and I loved the adventure of working with him) but I haven’t written a song in years. I’ve instead been writing and publishing books.

7. Mrs. P says:

Hi Russ, I’ve been perusing your song writing posts, which have been very educational and I wanted to comment on two points. First, this is a beautiful song and your lyrics seem to be so much better since you decided to write about what’s real to you.

And I like your comment about listening to the song first before reading the lyrics…it’s the way I always do it…if I like it well enough, then I go back and read the lyrics. Your songwriting is inspirational…perhaps one day, after I finish the house, this might be an area of creative stretch that I might be interested in trying…for the same reasons you do. Thanks for the continued inspiration.