A Lot Can Be Lost In Transition

“Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.” –Walt Disney

I love Walt Disney, and like this saying. But I also believe that for most adults, a lot can be lost when going from being a kid to being an adult. Fortunately, there is a cure. Grandchildren! Having grandchildren can help us to recapture much of what we lost when we ‘grew up’. We can re-discover that sense of wonder, the power of imagination to change and create whole worlds, and the sheer joy of playing and of being alive.

One of my greatest blessings is being a grandparent. In fact, I just decided to write a song about it. Stay tuned…

This entry was posted in Aging, Grandparenting & Grandkids, LIfe Lessons and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A Lot Can Be Lost In Transition

1. You’re so right…and when you’re even a bit older…and your grandchildren grow up you may be blessed to have a little great-grandchild who teaches you all over again …..Diane

2. dockfam says:

This is so true. My mom tells me all the time that the grandkids keep her and my dad young!

3. artsifrtsy says:

I remember watching my Grandfather find a renewed zest for life when my brother had his first child – something about youth keeps you young.

I saw the same thing with my Beloved’s father when he played with our kids. I think they added at least several years to his life and much more life to his years.

4. Bella says:

Russ, while being a grandparent may be a delightful experience, I confess that I’m not yet ready. It’s not because of the grandchildren, which I would love to have, but my fear stems more from vanity. The reason for this being that it would mean I’m older (God no!) and hence, I have more wrinkles, and less energy and coordination. Oh dear. Let me stop now before I really get depressed. hee hee! 🙂

Hi, Bella. While you ended your comment witha “hee hee” and smiley face”and parts of your post made me chuckle, I also know that aging is a serious and scary thing for many folks. It is way beyond vanity for a lot of people. It is a real and valid threat to them. I’ll bet you know all of this and have much empathy for everyone experiencing such fears and other feelings. So, like you, while I may make fun of myself and how I deal with it, we both understand why many people fear it.

I try to use the changes that aging brings as wake-up calls and reminders to make sure that I squeaze as much joy and living out of every day that I can because the cost is a day of my life whether I use it wisely or not. A day I can never get back. Possibly the last day of my life. So I plan to make today a very good day and I imagine that you do the same.

• Bella says:

Russ, my apologies if my comment appeared to be a bit insensitive. I assure you that wasn’t my intention. Perhaps I used humor to deflect from the actual worries that assail me when I think of aging. Of course, you are right–I am very empathic of those undergoing many of the negative aspects of this process–mainly those associated with illness, depression, and solitude. My mother’s siblings are all in their nineties and while that may seem like a blessing, I see two of them suffering from dementia and it breaks my heart. To grow old may be a privilige but unfortunately for many, this also means having to live in circumstances where your quality of life is compromised. In spite of this, I hope to live to a ripe old age. And who knows, aging may grant me the wisdom that will allow me to focus not on the wrinkles on my face, but rather, on the experiences that have allowed me to live a life of dignity.

My dear Bella, it is I who has been insensitive, and clumsy in my writing. I apologize for both. I knew what you were saying and where your heart was on the matter but poorly conveyed it in my reply. Please forgive me.

• Bella says:

No need to apologize, Russ! You conveyed your message perfectly. It was I who decided that it was necessary to elaborate my response so as for it not to appear frivolous and insensitive. I thank you for prompting me to think, my friend. Have a wonderful day! 🙂