What a Difference an Hour Makes!

I’m so jazzed! In the last hour:

I’ve made plans to go to the music studio while the vocalist Allyson Paige allysonpaige.com sings the song “No More Secrets/No More Lies” that Denis Loiseau and I co-wrote. We’re having a demo of the song created professionally. I’ve been in music studios before, but never while one of our songs is being produced. That’s because our prior songs were produced in Nashville studios about 3,000 miles from where I live and this one is being produced in a Bay Area studio. The music tracks have already been laid, but as a lyricist my primary focus is on the vocalist so I’m really looking forward to hearing her bring the song to life.

I also made plans to go to the West Coast Songwriters conference that is happening this weekend. At it we’ll have the opportunity to present our song to music industry execs from television, Hollywood, Nashville, and around the country. We’ll get their feedback and suggestions for possible improvements. If they like it enough, one or more of them might “pick it up” (take it back to their companies to see if they might be able to use it on current or future projects or shows.) It is quite a compliment for an exec to pick up a song and most or all of the songs on which Denis and I have collaborated have been picked up by one or more music industry execs.

In general, relatively few songs get picked up, and while having one picked up is a critical first step, it is only the first of many steps in a very long process. Very few picked up songs are ever “cut” (produced and distributed by the bigger names in the music industry). “Cut” usually equals $$. The odds are daunting for even the most accomplished songwriters, but for me it’s all about the adventure, so I win every time.

If we like how the song demo turns out enough, Denis and I may even release it on our own via the song sale sites on the internet. That will be a whole new experience and adventure for us.

My wife and I have been married since 1979. We have 3 adult children and 5 grandchildren. I manage a wealth management firm that I founded in 2003. My Beloved is a Special Education teacher for Kindergartners and First Graders. I'm a published author of approximately 60 books in a variety of genres for grownups and children. In addition to my family, friends, investing, and writing, my passions include reading, watching classic movies, experiencing waves crashing on rocky shores, hiking in ancient redwood forests, and the beauty of kindness and nature.
This entry was posted in Creativity, Dreams, Following Your Passion, Joy & Happiness, Song Updates, Songs I've Written or Co-Written, Songwriting Adventure, Songwriting Conferences & Trip Updates, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to What a Difference an Hour Makes!

1. Cathy Ulrich says:

Wow! That is awesome, Russ. I know it will go well and I so hope the song gets “Cut!” Then I can say “I knew you when…!” πŸ™‚

Thank you, Cathy! It’s all about having fun, and right now I am. If I stop having fun I’ll set songwriting aside to focus on other passions. I love having a menu from which to choose. Since one of my other passions is investment managment and it generates our cash flow–along with my Beloved’s salary as a Special Ed teacher of course, we don’t need to ever make a dollar with my other passions. It’s nice to be in a place where I can do everything else just for the fun of it. To be clear, I’m not suggesting that I would turn down money from songwriting or other passions. I would just be extra careful that whatever income might be generated fom them didn’t in any way impact my ability to keep having fun while doing them.

I appreciate your enthusiastic support, my friend!

• Cathy Ulrich says:

Russ,
        You are so right. It is all about having fun! When we get hung up in the money part, it seems to choke out the creativity. It’s just exciting when you’ve learned a wonderful creative skill like songwriting and you get recognition for it. Then if/when the money comes, it’s just icing on the cake!

2. Judy says:

Go Russ ! πŸ™‚

3. Super good luck Russ!!!

4. Sounds exciting..hope your song goes well…Diane

5. Andrea Kelly says:

Congratulations and Good Luck!!

6. jiltaroo says:

That is so exciting Russ. Good on you and good luck!

7. Wow I had forgotten that you write songs! That’s amazing news Russ. I wish I could hear it. Have you ever written a song with a singer in mind?

Thank you, Diana. Actually, I’m “supposed to” write songs with singers in mind, but I don’t tend to do it. What often happens is I’ll write a song and then listeners will say something like, that song would be perfect for_______________. Then I take notes. ;-D!

Hopefully you’ll all be able to hear this song sometime in the next week or so and you are encouraged to let me know of any singers who you think it would fit.

8. artsifrtsy says:

So cool! There’s nothing more exciting than seeing something you created brought to life – enjoy it!

9. Wishing you all best with the demo πŸ™‚

10. How exciting!! good luck – keep us posted!

11. Good luck, Russ! Sounds like one very fine hour indeed! The music writer’s conference sounds like it’ll be marvelous…just the sort of thing one might take lots of pics at…and then blog about later πŸ˜‰ (one can hope, and live vicariously through you, right? :))

Thank you. Yes some people take a lot of photos at the conference. As for me, I’ve found that when I’m taking photos I’m capturing moments for the future, but feel I’m missing them in the present, so I rarely take photos. I know that photographers probably feel that they are extra-focused on the moment and capturing moments for the future. I think that is very cool and I admire photographers and their creations. I’m just wired a bit differently I guess. I do plan to get into natural photography as a hobby at some point, but even then it will be with a very basic point and shoot type camera. I’ve had more complicated cameras years ago and have learned that I strongly prefer elegant simplicity. ;-D!

• I think you’re the first person who feels the same way I do (RE: taking pics = preserving the moment for the future, but missing it as it’s happening) My husband is always getting on me to take pics for my blog when we’re off having adventures together or with the fam, but it somehow feels like taking a step “out” of the action instead of more deeply “into” it which is where I think I ought to be to really appreciate the time πŸ™‚

12. thoughtsfromanamericanwoman says:

How exciting – good luck, can’t wait to read all about it.