Nature’s Reminder

I believe that it is no accident that the most favored flower of love in many cultures–the rose–often has big thorns along with the beauty of their exquisitely designed shape, vibrant colors, soft sensuous petals, and perfume-like scents.

I believe those thorns are a gift to remind us that even the truest loves and most joyful lives sometimes experience heartaches, disappointments, and challenges, so that we will remember to appreciate all the blessings that life has to offer while we can.

This entry was posted in Abundance, Beauty, Challenges, Love, Nature, Observations and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Nature’s Reminder

1. boomiebol says:

So wisely written sir! Thanks for sharing this insight

2. Never thought about a rose that way. What an amazing way to look at it, especially when one considers their heady scent and sheer beauty – somehow it erases the pain of thorns and makes them worth it anyway…like love perhaps?

Like love indeed. Sometimes we’re attracted to love and end up so pricked by its thorns that we bleed, but sometimes we are blesed with the beauty of the flower too and that makes it worth the risk of the pain.

Red is the color of the rose that most often symbolizes love and it is also the color of our blood. I believe that is fitting as all love involves risk of pain and heartbreak.

May all who seek romantic love find it and experience the exquisite beauty of the flower and not just its stings!

Thank you for your comment, Diana.

3. billgncs says:

maybe that’s why the rose features so prominently in poetry.

4. How interesting makes one think of roses a little different………………..

5. artsifrtsy says:

Interesting perspective – I think you’re on to something there.

6. Andrea Kelly says:

I love your take on this! Thanks for the new perspective 🙂

7. strokedtolife says:

I really like your perspective on a rose. The medieval flower for charity was a rose, the petals on a rose seem to never end thus should our charity for others never end. I love any reminder to appreciate life’s blessings, so thank you Russ.

Thank you for sharing the info about the rose’s symbolism regarding charity in medieval times. I hadn’t heard that before. I love reminders about the many blessings life offers us every day too, my friend!

8. thoughtsfromanamericanwoman says:

I will remember to appreciate all of life’s blessings every time I see a rose. 🙂 And also through all of life’s thorns there will always be beauty! Patty

Your plan sounds like wisdom to me, Patty. As for your second sentence, I agree with it for those who choose to spend most of their time focusing on the beauty. I fear a different sort of life is likely for those who choose to focus only on the thorns. Thank you, my friend, for your thought-provoking comment!

• thoughtsfromanamericanwoman says:

You are right, I have a friend who only sees the thorns. I pray for the day she sees the roses – you have a compassionate heart and I thank you for reminding us to care for those that hurt. I am going to give her a call.