Overcome to Become

I just completed a comment on a friend’s blog with this sentence:

“I’m all-the-more proud of her because of what she has had to overcome to become who she is.”

I was referring to My Beloved but as I pushed the send button I realized that is true about many of the people I know. I factor in how much they’ve had to overcome to become the people they are today.

Some people start the race of life with the huge weights of as poverty, illiteracy, physical disabilities or deformities, mental or other illness, emotional roablocks, abuse, addictions, depression, terrible modeling by their parents, or no parents from early after their birth, and more.

I try to remind myself of their backstory. Sometimes someone might appear not to have come far in their lives until I’ve learned what they had to overcome to get there.

The world is full of backstories. We all have them. I wonder how much better I would treat everyone if only I knew the burdens they carried. When I am wise enough to think of such things, my words, thoughts, and actions grow kinder, and I become more patient, compassionate, understanding and forgiving.

In other words, I become closer to the person I’m focused on becoming.

My wife and I have been married since 1979. We have 3 adult children and 5 grandchildren. I manage a wealth management firm that I founded in 2003. My Beloved is a Special Education teacher for Kindergartners and First Graders. I'm a published author of approximately 60 books in a variety of genres for grownups and children. In addition to my family, friends, investing, and writing, my passions include reading, watching classic movies, experiencing waves crashing on rocky shores, hiking in ancient redwood forests, and the beauty of kindness and nature.
This entry was posted in Attittude, Challenges, Choices, Compassion, Forgiveness, LIfe Lessons, Patience & Persistence and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Overcome to Become

1. camsgranny says:

That is oh so true, when we look at a person, sometimes we are quick to make judgements, but it is not our place to judge. I have found that going through my “own backstory”, I tend to look at people and just try to be kind. Because you are right, we all that “backstory”, and while it might not show in our actions, we are all dealing so to speak. Thank you for your insight!
    Camsgranny

2. Good post – thank you. Right away it reminded me of one of my favourite quotes:

“If the secret sorrows of everyone could be read on their forehead, how many who now cause envy would suddenly become the object of pity. ”
    — Proverb

That’s a good one alright, Diana! It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

“Envy is nearly always due to the lack of understanding of the other person’s situation.”

• Oh yeah we both like quotes, good one! here’s another for you!

“You know what’s probably a good thing to hang on your porch in the summertime, to keep mosquitoes away from you and your guests? Just a big bag of blood.”
        — Jack Handey
        (Grinning)

You win! ;–D!
          P.S. Are volunteering to be the donor for the contents of the big bag? (Grinning back at ya!)

• hahaha! I usually don’t get more than 1 or 2 bites a year, but this year I seem to be a smorgasborg for them! So I will have to graciously decline!

In our family we call that “Sweet Blood”.–and no, we’re not Vampires! It just seems that when a group of people go into a mosquito infested area some people seem to get chomped on a lot more than others, so we figure their blood must taste sweeter to those blood-sucking critters. Stay away from Vampires! They’ll think you are one big dessert!

3. Jo-Anne says:

Oh so very true……………………what a great post…………..

4. Gina's Professions for PEACE says:

This post really touches my heart. How wise and kind you are, and I cannot thank you enough for sharing this powerful truth with us here. Like the old adage of not ‘judging a book by its cover’ you have further explained WHY. To imagine a person’s back-story helps create empathy, and helps bring peace. Bless your heart Russ.
    With deep gratitude, your friend Gina

5. Andrea Kelly says:

This reminds me of the quote “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

Such true words, thank you so much for sharing your insight on it! I just love your posts!

6. Enjoyed reading your post ..Its true , before we condemn or criticize , its best to remind ourselves that ” judge not , lest ye be judged . Do care to visit my blog too . its very different from your usual run – of – the – mill kind . Hope you will enjoy reading it .

Thank you for your comment. I look forward to visiting your site. I’m a bit backblogged right now so it may be awhile and I’ve been batching my visits but I definately plan to check your site out. Thank you for your invitation.