Of The Good In You I Can Speak

“…Of the Good in you I can speak, but not of the Evil. For what is Evil but Good–tortured by its own hunger and thirst? When Good is hungry, it seeks food, even in dark caves, and when it thirsts, it drinks even of dead waters.” -Kahlil Gibran

I believe that the above saying is true for most humans, and that the message has value in that it helps us to have some empathy for those who have chosen paths that society has labeled as Evil. The ones labeled as Evil often have tortured souls and the people doing the labeling could easily have done Evil themselves if they had experienced all that the ones they are labeling had experienced.

But I also believe that there is another form of humankind, the ones that have experienced the worst kinds of hell on earth but do not succumb to doing Evil or doing nothing. People whose Spirit is so great that even in the worst situations they help their fellow humans.

Survivors of the Holocaust, wretched prison camps, terrible wars, etc, sometimes describe such great Spirits; those who give thir last morsel of food so that another might live, or risk severe beatings or death to get medicine for another who is sick, or literally give the shirt off their back to save another from brutal cold.

I would love to see monuments built to those Heroes of Humanity. In the meantime, I’m grateful for the stories I hear about them as they warm my heart and fill it with hope.

And as long as their stories keep being told those Heroes will still live in the hearts of all who appreciate such greatness of Spirit, along with the generations of others who are descendants of those saved by such wonderful Spirits–literally a living legacy that may endure and grow for centuries.

My wife and I have been married since 1979. We have 3 adult children and 5 grandchildren. I manage a wealth management firm that I founded in 2003. My Beloved is a Special Education teacher for Kindergartners and First Graders. I'm a published author of approximately 60 books in a variety of genres for grownups and children. In addition to my family, friends, investing, and writing, my passions include reading, watching classic movies, experiencing waves crashing on rocky shores, hiking in ancient redwood forests, and the beauty of kindness and nature.
This entry was posted in Courage, Generosity, Gratitude, Inspiring, Making the World a Better Place, Observations, Optimism, Praise, Quotes I Love and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Of The Good In You I Can Speak

1. Gina's Professions for PEACE says:

This post is outstanding Russ. As the one before as well… That is one of my favorite Mother Teresa stories. And THIS one is awesome! I too would “love to see monuments built to those Heroes of Humanity”. This post inspires me, and gives me hope. Keep writing! Cheers, Gina

2. russtowne says:

Thank you, Gina! I appreciate your kind feedback. By the way, for some reason your replies are still showing that they need my approval every time. That isn’t supposed to be happening, and to my knowledge after the first approved message from readers it isn’t happening to anyone else. I apologize for the inconvenience. I’m not sure how to fix it, but please know that it isn’t intentional on my part and that if you don’t see your reply show up immediately on the blog it should show up as soon as I see it in my emails.

• Gina's Professions for PEACE says:

It’s my pleasure to comment, Russ, and no need to worry about the ‘hold’. Although you got me thinking, so I found out how to fix it on mine, and wanted to share: In the Dashboard, select Settings (at the bottom of the row on the left) then Discussion, then I think it was called ‘Before a comment appears’ and you can choose to hold or release to previously approved commenters. Ta Da! Look at us bloggers… learning together.

• Gina's Professions for PEACE says:

Hey Look! No hold… You already figured it out. Oh and by the way… we are certainly in different timezones! In your part of the world it’s nearly 1:30 in the morning. Here the robins are all chirping at each other and hubby and I are about to walk the dog at 7:30pm. Blogging: bringing us together from all parts of the world. đŸ˜€

Nope. I didn’t change anything, but I’m glad there wasn’t a hold. As for time zones, it is 6:41pm and still daylight out here in California.

________________________________

3. russtowne says:

Thank you, Gina. I plan to try that right now.

4. russtowne says:

Hello again, Gina. Well I got my hopes up, but under my “When a Comment Appears” section the only two options were something about ‘always require approval’ and “Comment author must have previously approved comment”. The latter had already been selected and that would explain why all other authors’ replies are automatically let through after my first approval, but doesn’t explain why yours are not. Grumble, grumble… Sorry. I tried. Hopefully the problem will go away soon.