Blindness

I don’t know who wrote it, but I read a story that went something like this:

There was once a blind girl who hated herself and everyone else because she couldn’t see. Everyone, that is, except her boyfriend. She loved him very much and promised that she would marry him if she ever became able to see.

One day a pair of eyes became available and after the surgery she was able to see. It was then she noticed that her boyfriend was blind. She became so angry that she broke up with him.

Later, she received a letter from him. It read: “Please take good care of my eyes.”

That story had a powerful impact on me. I grieved for both of them.

May the girl come to realize that even with her new eyes she remains blind until she learns to see with her heart.

May the boy be blessed with a girl whose heart is as big as his.

This entry was posted in Love, Vids & Stories That Touched Me and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Blindness

Wow, what a deed to do. That is deep love. Sad to see the girls actions.

2. Russ – It seemed like divine intervention when your blog was the first one I opened this morning. That’s simply how it appeared in my e-mail notifications for the day. I’ve had problems with my vision caused in a serious auto accident back in 1995 and I’ve learned not to take them (my eyes) as something I can assume will always be there. I needed your reminder today, Ross, that I can’t spend 14 hours a day on my computer and still have eyesight that will last to the remainder of my days. Thank you for the remarkable insight that came just at the right time.

Your kind comment was a gift to me as well. Thank for sharing your insight. It is also an excellent reminder to me. May the vision of your eyes stay as strong as that of your heart, Sheri. From my vantage point, that is at least 20/20.

3. markquijano says:

His love is indeed a true love.

4. Val Boyko says:

Makes me wonder why someone would sacrifice all when one would do …. and what the underlying message is for all of us…. Does complete sacrifice equal true love?
    What are your thoughts Russ …..

Good questions, Val. As for your first question: Good point!

Some of the underlying messages for me included:

If one sees with their eyes but not their heart, they are still blind.

Sometimes one can fall in love with someone whose heart is not able to reciprocate.

It can be painful and one can lose some of the best parts of themselves if they fall in love with someone who doesn’t have true love for them.

It is wise to grow in love with someone whose heart is ready and able to love them back just as passionately and faithfully.

As for your question regarding sacrifice and true love: I believe that true love doesn’t have to involve sacrifice at all (or loss that is greater than gain). For example, I only want one thing for everyone I love: Lasting joy. Hopefully, I’m a part of their lasting joy, but if I’m not, then it is best for them–and ultimately for me–to not be in their lives. I can’t imagine that true love would ever want anything different than that.

I believe there is a big difference between investing in the relationship (a gift one gives themselves as well as the other(s) in that relationship, and sacrificing for the other person. Resentment can set in and the relationship can be hurt if one focuses on the latter, and the latter will often result in winners and losers–and sometimes only losers. To me, the best chance of achieving a happy outcome for everyone is when everyone focuses on strengthening the relationship.

I don’t believe that love is blind. True love helps us to simply focus on the best parts of others, and to stay connected to the best parts of ourselves.

• Val Boyko says:

A belated thank you Russ for your thoughtful responses to my questions! I especially love “if they see with their eyes but not their heart, they are still blind. You are a wise man with a big heart.

5. Powerful and sad… I thought it was going to be that when she saw him …he was not good-looking enough for her…. Diane

6. I think we all need to go and watch Shrek again 🙂

7. A wow….thanks for this ~

8. Ahmed says:

to love is to sacrifice, love without sacrifice ain’t true love.