Some Things You May Not Know About Me

inspiring-blogger-award1

Rustic Recluse has been nominated for the Very Inspiring Blogger award and has kindly nominated my blog for same. If you haven’t had the pleasure of visiting Rustic’s blog, I recommend that you check it out:

Dear Rustic Recluse: Congratulations on being nominated for this award and thank you for nominating my blog. I’m humbled and honored at receiving this award. As I have received this award multiple times before, and I mention and list many blogs on an on-going basis including at least 70 at a time on my home page via their avatars, I hereby acknowledge you and your blog for honoring my blog and I will mention 7 things about myself that I hopefully haven’t mentioned earlier. Hopefully that is in keeping with the spirit of the award.

Seven Things You May Not Know About Me:

I’m the oldest of five siblings, all living, two of each of each gender.

I was in the high tech recruiting and recruiting research profession for about 30 years and self-employed for about 25 of them

I recruited 69 Americans to work on 2- to 3-year contracts in the Netherlands.

Two of my relatives have been bitten by rattlesnakes and both survived–one without receiving the anti-venom.

My dad used to ride in rodeos and a niece still does.

Sadly, I look like a sack of potatoes when riding a horse. It is not a pretty sight.

My Beloved and I completely switched careers at the same time–an action I don’t recommend as it was financially jarring–and we are both much happier having done so. (If a couple has an option it would probably be better in most cases for one person at a time to change careers while the other keeps a revenue stream and hopefully their benefits plans until the career-changer gets traction in their new profession.)

Love,

This entry was posted in Awards: Sharing The Love and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Some Things You May Not Know About Me

1. billgncs says:

wow Russ, that cowboy blood made you daring!

congrats on the award

Thank you, Bill. The cowboy blood skipped me. Perhaps it is because I was adopted by my dad. Whatever the reason, I look ridiculous astride a horse despite my best efforts. I’m about as graceful as a blind-folded drunk walking on oil-slickened ice trying to carry 20 very active cats. I wish I could say that I was a born rider, but it would be far fom the truth. I love horses, and many things related to the Old West, westerns, cowboys, etc, but I now mostly admire them from afar via books and movies.

• billgncs says:

whatever it is, takes great fortitude to change careers like that and make it work.

OH,THAT’S what you meant. Thank you. It did, but I was helped by my disgust of the incredible cyclicality of the recruiting profession in Silicon Valley. There was a month when my business dropped about 95%. It wasn’t that my Clients went elsewhere. Most of the companies went out of business or laid off the people who used the types of services my firm provided. Who needs recruitng types when layoffs are rampant? I had 10 employees and attempted to keep my team together and outlast the crash from the dotcom bust. BIG mistake. I went from being virtually retired and living very comfortably in my early 40’s to a fairly dire financial situation in a little more than a blink of an eye. So, I got into the investment management business about five years before the Great Recession. If that sounds like going from the frying pan into the fire, it wasn’t. My Clients and I got through worst of it in remarkably good shape. I’d learned a few things along the way regarding preparing for adversity, identifying exceptionally strong companies, avoiding companies that can be driven out of business during major down cycles, and having major margins of safety, etc, and most importantly, I love what I do.

2. Fascinating and enlightening as always Russ 🙂

Your family must be made of some very fine blood to withstand viper venom. I can barely take it if someone says something mean-spirited!!

Nice to know more about you, and congratulation to a well deserved award!

5. Patty B says:

Congratulations on your award. It was fun learning about you and that you come from a family of cowboys – that is awesome! The cowboy blood might not be in you but God sure did bless you with the gift of words and the love of your life. 🙂

Thank you, Patty. I certainly agree with being blessed with the love of my life. There are so many wonderfully deserving people who have yet to find theirs. Before the days of Meetups, My Beloved and I used to throw parties and only invite single people who were open to being in romantic relationships. That was fun, and it was great to see couples develop out of singles. We stopped doing it partly because our married friends were getting jealous!

• Patty B says:

Darn I was going to ask you invite my children over and find someone for them!! LOL 🙂

LOL! It was a lot of fun, especially because we weren’t looking for anyone and could just relax and enjoy ourselves. That helped others to relax and enjoy themselves too.