The First

She whispered, “I like you”
That’s all the prompting I’d need
As we stood in the shade
Of a towering tree

We were both new at this
And acted kind of shy
When we leaned toward each other
We quickly closed our eyes

Because on that bright sunny day
When we shared our first kiss
She was only five years old
And I was only six.
–Russ Towne

This entry was posted in Poetry I Wrote, Youth and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The First

Love this Russ…btw, I nominated you for Blog of 2012..please check out my post “Have I Said Thank You Lately”..congratulations!

2. bulldogsturf says:

I love poetry Russ… I just wish I could do it…

Me too. I enjoy your photos so much that I’d love to see you try your hand at poetry too. Perhaps you could start with two-line rhymers or 4 line-non-rhymers as captions for your photos.

I have no idea what I’m doing with poetry. I just started writing it in the last month or two. I could be the worst poet on the planet for all I know. I never took a class in it, so for example, I have no idea whether I should include punctuation, rhymes, where or how to rhyme, whether near-rhymes and contractions are ok, etc. So, I just write from the heart and attempt to tell true stories in ways that hopefully don’t sound too awful. I figure that like everything else, some will like it and some won’t. That’s good enough for me as I endeavor to get better at it. Over time, if I get increasing numbers of “likes” I might guess that more people actually like what I write. I noticed that for my first several poems my “like” counts appeared to me to be way down for my poetry than for my other types of posts. I’d say that so far that ISN’T a good sign. ;-D! But I figure that I won’t be good at most things that I iinitially pick up and try and if I let that–or feedback regarding same–stop me from trying to improve I’ll never know how good I might become in any number of areas. For example, I only started writing songs about 3 years ago. Check out the “Songs I Wrote or Co-Wrote category of this blog and you’ll be able to hear the songs I’ve created and co-created. If I’d have let other people’s opinions and tastes, and preferences be the deciding factor in continuing to write songs, I probably wouldn’t have ever written more than one.

Sorry for the long reply. I get carried away sometimes!

• bulldogsturf says:

I am glad to see one more that pens an answer that is longer than the original post.. I do it all the time… like photography I think poetry must be the same … if one doesn’t keep trying and practicing it will never get better… but with poetry I do believe you have to have a certain affinity for it…I have a friend who as a joke, 45 odd years ago, entered a poem in a competition.. he one, since then he has written books full and they sell… he can just sit down and write a poem on anything… I find it amazing… a gift I think is closer to the truth… I have to just sit down and try and see what comes out.. at my age I’m beyond letting criticism bother me, so I might just try and post one for a laugh….
        But you are good so you have nothing stopping you and I will go to the song writing link you’ve given me… Enjoy and I’ll see you on my return….

Thank you for the feedback and compliment. All I know it that you appear to me to have a huge talent for nature photography. I don’t know whether it came naturally like your writer friend or whether it took a lot of hard work–I suspect you had the talent and the hard work gets you close to the animals to take just the right photos–but either way they are wonderful. One of my songs is called “Nature’s Symphony”. Considering your subject matter , you might find it worth a listen as I suspect you hear nature’s symphony in all her glory a lot.

I look forward to reconnecting when you return. Good luck!

3. shianwrites says: