Wherever There Is Love

A dear aunt forwarded the story below to me. I love it and wanted to share it with you.

We don’t know who replied to a letter sent by a little girl, but there is a beautiful soul working in the dead letter office who understands LOVE……………………..

Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month.

The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.

She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her.

I told her that I thought that we could, so she dictated these words:

Dear God,

Will you please take care of my dog?

Abbey died yesterday and is with you in heaven.

I miss her very much.

I ‘m happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.

I hope you will play with her.

She likes to swim and play with balls.

I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog.

I really miss her.

Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey & Meredith, addressed it to God/Heaven.

We put our return address on it.

Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven.

That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office.

A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet.

I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, ‘To Meredith’in an unfamiliar hand.

Meredith opened it.

Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, ‘When a Pet Dies.’

Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope.

On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I recognized her right away.

Abbey isn’t sick anymore.

Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart.

Abbey loved being your dog.

Since we don’t need our bodies in heaven, I don’t have any pockets to keep your picture in so I’m sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me.

What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you.

I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much.

By the way, I’m easy to find.

I am wherever there is love.

Love,
God

This entry was posted in Children, Dealing with Pain & Grief, Dogs & Other Wonderful Creatures, Kindness, Love, Making the World a Better Place, Stories That Touched Me and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Wherever There Is Love

1. Andrea Kelly says:

*Tears up* I love this so much.

2. billgncs says:

great one. Reminds me of my favorite quote by Robert Louis Stevenson

You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.

3. A Dog With Fleas says:

What a beautiful post and sentiment from an Anonymous stranger with a beautiful heart. Made me tear up reading it.

I believe it is the greatness, goodness, and kindness within each of us that leads to our eyes overflowing with joy when experiencing such things. Thank you for being such a person, as my world is better with you in it.

4. what a wonderful example of what it means to truly be “the hands” (that take time to respond in love) and “the feet” (that deliver good news)

5. JanBeek says:

Ah, this is my kind of story. What a great way to start the day – with a reminder “I AM wherever there is LOVE.” Now, I am ready to go out in love and try to emulate that wonderful “stranger” who took the time to respond in love. How beautiful! I need to repost this on my blog.

6. Pingback: Wherever There Is Love « janbeek

7. strokedtolife says:

So beautiful, I’m all ready eyed now. Thank you for sharing!

• strokedtolife says:

I meant teary

I know you meant “teary”, but I kinda like “Ready eyed”, as in my “my eyes are ready to capture all the beauty of life, and the kindness all around, and to convey with a look and a smile to everyone I meet that they are seen and appreciated for the greatness within them.” ;-D!

Thank you for your comments, my friend.

8. Professions for PEACE says:

What a lovely story! And a wonderful way to put it… in a love letter. From God. Love it!

9. optimisticgladness says:

This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

10. THAT is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. Not kidding.
    PS thank you for liking my post. i’m glad I found you.

Wow! Thank you for one of the best comments I’ve ever read! And I’m not kidding either. Without wanting to sound like a parrot, I too am glad that I have found you.

• I’ll go one further. It stopped me in my tracks. You know how you, well, ME, reads posts so fast cos there’s so many of them and you (me) want(s) to do all them the justice they deserve, so you(me) tend to scan and then write a comment? This one I had to stop and read and read again, and I teared up for so many reasons…my darling animals who have passed, and my son who was as devastated as I was. Anyway, awesome again. (two posts about my Border Collie, Victor, tho I don’t normally pitch my blog on comments! http://enchantedseashells.com/2012/09/16/spirit-squirrel-is-back/ andhttp://enchantedseashells.com/2012/09/16/goodbye-sweet-victor-part-two/

Good points. I too tend to speed-read many posts but occasionally one strike me so powerfully that it stops me in my tracks. I’m glad this is one such post for you. I plan to read the post linked in yur comment right after I push the “Post Comment” button.

11. Denise Hisey says:

That was incredibly beautiful and brought tears to my eyes as well.
    Thanks for sharing it!

12. Thanks to my father who shared with me concerning this webpage, this webpage is genuinely amazing.

13. ask says:

It’s going to be end of mine day, except before ending I am reading
    this fantastic article to improve my experience.