OK, Now I’ve Gone and Done It: The Dance

I’ve successfully avoided writing poetry for virtually all of my 55 years, but today I caved in.

I blame it on two words: Dappled Shadows

They popped into my head about an hour ago and wouldn’t go away. I tried to focus on other things but they kept distracting me. So…

You are the first to experience it. May it not be too painful an experience for either of us, but either way, sometimes a man’s gotta try something new and do what he’s gotta do. No, “…sometimes a man’s gotta try something new and do what he’s gotta do” isn’t my poem, but I’ve got to admit that I kind of like it! ;-D! )

The Dance

Dappled shadows on our path
Filtered light through verdant leaves
Treading softly to hear the whispers
Of the ancient dance of wind and trees.

This entry was posted in Nature, Poetry I Wrote and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to OK, Now I’ve Gone and Done It: The Dance

1. It’s beautiful…sometimes your lyrics are like poetry too…Diane

2. billgncs says:

excellent, verdant is such a word full of imagery

3. artsifrtsy says:

Nice – a wordsmith you are:)

4. jiltaroo says:

You did it…and you did it well. The image conjured was beautiful and the words were as gentle as the leaves you speak of. Jen

5. Of the ancient dance of wind and trees. I like that line. In reminds me that I’m only here for a blip…but the dance of life has happened forever and I’m grateful for the time I get to cut in and cut up the rug!

“but the dance of life has happened forever and I’m grateful for the time I get to cut in and cut up the rug!” Sounds like you’re a poet too! I like that line.

• kind, but I’m no poet…doesn’t stop me from enjoying it though. 🙂

That may make two of us. I know that I enjoy reading them. Time will tell as to whether I become any good at writing them. I hope my internet friends would find a kind way to suggest that I focus my creative efforts elsewhere if reading my poety subjects them to any form of torture. I’d rather do one thing well than several things badly.

6. Go on, go on! Keep going! The only problem is that it’s too short! I was expecting a lengthy poem 🙂

Thank you. In that case, you may find the length of my second poem, “Smiles” more to your liking. A third poem, which is under construction but probably won’t be completed until tomorrow or later is longer still. It is called “Silly, Silly Me”.

7. Andrea Kelly says:

That is beautiful for a first time, Russ! I think you may have found a new talent 🙂

8. Cathy Ulrich says:

Like it, Russ. But know this: writing poetry is addictive! Don’t say I didn’t warn you…:-)

9. JanBeek says:

Poetry IS addictive – and I am so pleased to see you caving in – and shaping your words in a different genre. It’s fun! Your “dappled shadows” reminds me of the phrases that turned my head and opened my mind last week: Matthew 11:28-30 ” unforced rhythms of grace” and “live freely and lightly.” It’s in the “Message” version of the Bible by Eugene Peterson. Sometimes scripture is so poetic! I was inspired by your “treading softly to hear the whispers…” Yes, tread softly… tread freely… tread lightly into the world of poetry and discover the unforced rhythms of grace. We, your blogging friends will be the grateful recipients of your “cavings.”

10. You know what…I kinda like it too! Russ, you’ve waited 55 years. Wait no more! I love your poem. Please write more. Sharon