Cheerios Fun With Younguns

My Beloved is a genius. She used Cheerios in various ways to raise our children. Between meals, when they were hungry, she put some Cheerios onto their high chair trays. It gave them something to do, to play with, and eat while helping them to develop their fine motor skills. It’s not easy to pick up individual Cheerrios laying on their sides when one is of a young high chair age.

But my favorite way she used Cheerios was when she potty-trained our boys to urinate “the way Daddy does”. It became very obvious very quickly that left to their own creativity and aim urine would soon be all over the wall and floor–and everything in between. So, Beloved threw a couple of Cheerios in the toilet bowl to give them something to practice aiming at. It made going to the bathroom fun and quickly improved their aim.

And it encouraged Younger Son to pee into the toilet instead of into the cat litter box next to it.

As I said, My Beloved’s a genius.

My wife and I have been married since 1979. We have 3 adult children and 5 grandchildren. I manage a wealth management firm that I founded in 2003. My Beloved is a Special Education teacher for Kindergartners and First Graders. I'm a published author of approximately 60 books in a variety of genres for grownups and children. In addition to my family, friends, investing, and writing, my passions include reading, watching classic movies, experiencing waves crashing on rocky shores, hiking in ancient redwood forests, and the beauty of kindness and nature.
This entry was posted in Creativity, Family "Fun" and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Cheerios Fun With Younguns

1. joyfullyrenewed says:

I used them with my son too! Cheerios are so useful:)

2. artsifrtsy says:

My Sister did the same – she told the boys to sink the battleships 🙂

3. billgncs says:

good one! When my wife was out, I would give the kids their snacks of dry cheerios on the floor and they would make puppy noises and eat their snack without their hands. They used to love it.

I made paper boats and told them to sink the ships…

5. mindfuldiary says:

hahahaaaaa, your wife IS genius Russ! You don’t know how many times I’ve wondered why my Tiger chooses to shoot anything else, but the toiletpot (despite countless explanations and even demonstration …haha not me of course ;D). Until recently, I figured (standing behind his back without him knowing it…..he has fun over diversity of the shooting objects). You can only imagine the hours it takes to do the damage control of his fun 20 sec. of fun. Thank your wife for the tip for me, will’ya?! Cheerios it is!

6. mindfuldiary says:

I’m sure it will! He is always up for any sort of challenge (this time it will work for my benefit…coughing….I mean his ) ;D.

LOL! Cheerios are such small targets that it’ll be an extra challenge for him! Hey mom, I sunk a Cheerio! You’ll be so proud! ;-D! I’d love to hear an after-action report…