Being Old Has Its Advantages

I was at a restaurant with My Beloved on our Date Night yesterday, and got to order off the Seniors menu for the first time. I expected that along with lower prices, the portions would be smaller. I couldn’t have been more wrong.

I got a full turkey dinner with about 2/3’s of a pound of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, mixed vegetables, split pea soup, bread, and a free large beverage (I chose milk) and dessert (I chose a wonderful ice cream called “Banana Split” that had all the ingredients of a banana split all combined into a single ice cream. It was YUMMY!).

The meal was quite inexpensive and delicious. There was so much food that I ended up taking most of it home, had it for lunch today, and there was still enough left over for My Beloved to have it for dinner.

I could get used to this being “old” thing. ;-D!

This entry was posted in Abundance, Aging and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Being Old Has Its Advantages

1. See there is a plus to aging ok there are a lot of them buy yell don’t ask me to name any other ones right now……….

LOL! I hear you!

So far, aging has made me look “more distinguished”, more experienced (a good thing in investment managment), and wiser. So, I’m not complaining.

I’m also acutely aware that too much of a good thing can stop being good… ;-D!

But aging also means that I’m still alive, and at the moment that seems like a pretty nice thing to be.

2. boomiebol says:

Ha ha ha i like that

3. billgncs says:

just wait until you go to a movie!

4. That sounds like a huge meal. Do you have to show ID? It could somewhat be like that for awhile right, where people make you prove you are old enough?…I remember how good that felt even once in my 30’s when someone asked me for ID!

I didn’t have to show ID for that meal, but I imagine that I sometimes I will. I was actually quite amazed that some restaurants still offer senior discounts for patrons who are at the sweet young age of 55. I’m in the Baby Boomer Bulge Bracket so a LOT of people are all turning my age at about the same time. It won’t surprise me to find that restaurants raise the minimum age for the senior discount to 62 or 65 to compensate for the huge number of folks getting older nearly simultaneously. But it’s a sweet deal while it lasts.

• Then there’s nothing left but to enjoy it! In Canada our retirement age is be raised to 67 because I guess there’s not enough money for pensions anymore….you know with people living longer and having less kids…perhaps many things will change when the boomers come of age!

5. My mind can get used to being old but my body can’t. It still wants to do things that it can’t anymore…………..lol

I relate to your comment WAY too well. My body has a way of getting even however.

I’m a slow learner, so sometimes my body has to remind me a lot before I get the message.

Thank you for your comment, Russel. It is good to hear from you.

6. thoughtsfromanamericanwoman says:

Since my husband is 12 yrs older than me, I automatically can order off of the senior menus ( I have a few years yet – not many – until I actually qualify!) DH prefers the discounted meals instead of choosing off a senior menu. One of our favorite places always includes my meal, we did tell them I am not quite ready for the 55+ discount, but they said I get it by default!! 😉 You are right, the sizes off a “mature eater” menu are more then enough for me with left overs for lunch the next day. On the movie note, we usually go to the matinee, and there is no senior discount, since the price of a senior ticket during evening hours is the same price as the matinee, and no they won’t give it to me by default – they are not as generous as the restaurant. Which is weird because I am only sitting in a chair at the movies no expense really, when at a restaurant I am actually eating their inventory. There are many more perks to being our age that I am just finding out…I may like this after all… Patty

7. Being a ‘senior certainly does have it’s perks to remind us it’s not as bad as we thought it would be getting older….Diane

8. JanBeek says:

Some of the advantages of aging: 1) More time, 2) More time to read, 3) More time to play, 4) More time to pray, 5) More to pray about! Enjoy the perks… you’ve only just begun!