Collateral Kindness

A kind reader recently complimented this blog and asked what I put on my cornflakes or breakfast bars in the morning that always made me so cheerful. Reading her comment warmed my heart and made me laugh. You’ll see why I laughed when you read my reply below.

Thank you for brightening my day with your kind and humorous message, Patty. I’m glad that you find reading the posts useful. In “real life” I’m not always upbeat and cheerful–especially first thing in the morning! I’m not a “morning person” by nature. I’m downright grumpy!

My life is so filled with blessings that I should awaken with a beaming smile and tap-dance to work. I wish! But I’ve done some things to reduce the grumps. I’ve found that getting 8 hours of sleep helps my disposition a LOT, and I’ve noticed that if I have a lot of sugar I tend to feel depressed shortly afterward, so I’m beginning to eat less of it, especially in the morning.

As for my cheerful posts, my day is brighter when I focus on positive, upbeat, uplifting things, so I selfishly post about things that brighten my day. If my posts also brighten your day and those of others, I guess the collateral kindness simply can’t be helped. ;-D!

This entry was posted in Kindness, Words or Quotes I Believe I Coined but please let me know if you heard them earlier elsewhere and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Collateral Kindness

1. Well look at that – seems like I have a lot in common with Patty ๐Ÿ™‚ Always a joy to read your posts, Russ!

I’m humbled that such beautifully entertaining bloggers as you and Patty would find value in my posts. Thank you for your kind and generous feedback! I greatly enjoy your posts as well!

2. You’re “A Grateful Man” also…which says a lot.
    Also always love your posts Russ.

3. thoughtsfromanamericanwoman says:

We that have our virtual visits with you every day are blessed to be part of your “collateral kindness”. Blessings – Patty

4. mindfuldiary says:

Always uplifting and positive posts, that brighten my day anytime I enter the space of Russ. Thank you for being selfish! Thanks for having this blog. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a great weekend!

Thank you, my friend. I hope you have a great weekend too. BTW, you may have noticed that I stopped referring to you by your first name. That is because I noticed quite awhile ago that you stopped including it in your comments. I made an assumption–which may not be accurate–that you’d prefer to be a bit more anonymous on the blogosphere and I want to respect and honor that if it is true. If it isn’t, please let me know and I’ll happily refer to you by you first name in many of our wonderful communications. Thank you!

5. sophypoo77 says:

What a wonderful way to look at life. I have so many wonderful things in my life it is sometimes hard to find the time to be grumpy. Can you please tell my children that I need to get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep?

Thank you! LOL! I had to laugh when I saw your request. My Beloved and I have 3 children (now all grown) so we know about which you speak! Our oldest has a 4 month old boy–our first grandson!!!–and he and his wife can relate only too well to your request. Oh, and our grandson’s first two teeth are are visible. Remember those days?

6. judysp says: