An Award & Some Things About Me That You May Find Interesting

Thank you Grandmother Musings at http://grandmothermusings.com/ for nominating and for and presenting this blog with The Inspiring Blogger Award. I enjoy her blog and recommend that you check it out.

One of the requests is to share 7 things about myself that my readers may find interesting. OK, here goes:

1. I was named after the little boy Rusty in the 1950’s in the TV show called RinTinTin.

2. I have Trigeminal Neuralgia. Along with Cluster headaches, the two maladies are known as the Suicide Diseases because they can be so painful that they’ve been know to drive…well, I think you get the idea. No worries, I don’t plan to go anywhere!

3. Both of my lungs kept collapsing–but not at the same time or I wouldn’t be here to tell you about it– when I was in my late teens and I needed surgery on both lungs that required spreading my ribs wide enough so that three hands could work inside my chest.

4. I’m a successful songwriter/lyricist who can’t sing, play an instrument, or read music. Most of my–actually our because they were all co-written with others–7 songs have been “picked up” by various music industry execs, but none have been “cut”–and “picked up is the first step in a long series of steps that most often goes nowhere, but many writers have never had a single song picked up so I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished so far. The reason I’m successful–by my definition (which is the only one I care about)–is that I love to write lyrics and I’m loving the adventure. To me that is what success is all about.

5. I am the founder of a successful investment management firm. It too started out as a hobby. I found I had a passion for investing, and a knack for it. Friends and family started giving their money to me to invest for them, and they suggested that I get into it as a profession. It took a lot of nagging, err, I mean enthusiastic suggestions, but they convinced me to come out of retirement, and I eventually did. I did it for free because I loved it so much, and now I’m getting paid to do what I loved to do for free. Life is good! Actually, I intentially have no minimum amount of assets requirements–which tends to be quite unusual in my line of work because most firms find that it is unprofitable to manage accounts or Clients with assets below a fairly high threshold. My firm takes a different approach. We don’t enforce any minimum. In that way people with small amounts of money can still get customized service. The end result is that about a third of the accounts we manage are not financially profitable for my firm. They are however, spiritually profitable, and I’m happy to do it.

6. One of my dreams was retiring early. I founded a company in 1988 that allowed me to essentially retire at the height of the dotcom boom when I was about 42 years old. My dream quickly became a nightmare as I found mysef very bored. I volunteered in an elementary school as a reading coach for youngsters who struggled with that subject, and taught subjects related to investing as a volunteer in a high school class, and while I found those activities to be valuable and somewhat interesting, I was still bored. The boredom was a great gift. I was able to learn very early that I wasn’t suited for retirement so I should find what I love to do, and then do it and never retire. That is why I let my friends and family talk me into offering my investment management services professionally. I’ve never regetted it since, and still love it! As it turns out, although the business that I’d founded in 1988 survived the dotcom bust, it never fully recovered, and I closed that business about 3 years ago. As that business had been the source of my income for early retirement, it turns out that it was fortuitous that I’d founded my investment business in early 2003.

7. I’ve been self-employed in a variety of businesses for nearly my whole adult life, starting when I was seventeen.

8. I’ve wanted to be a father and grandfather since I was in fourth grade. Since my early teens I’ve wanted to have two biological children and then begin adopting children who were physically disabled or from other countries and races. My Beloved shared the same dreams and they came true. She and I had two biological children and adopted a child from another country and race. Our family of 5 comprises races from 3 continents.

9. I initially started my blog simply as a way to share my songwriting adventure and songs, but I found that I love writing even more than songwriting so the blog has morphed into what you experience today.

OK, I know that is more than the 7 items requested, but I was on a roll and just kept going. I hope you found something of interest among these factoids.

I was also supposed to mention blogs I like, but I tend to already do that in various ways from reblogging, awards, shout-outs, etc, several times every week, so if you are interested in learning my favorite blogs “stay tuned”–that’s an old-timer saying meaning please stick around. ;-D!

This entry was posted in Awards: Sharing The Love, Challenges, Dreams, Inspiring and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to An Award & Some Things About Me That You May Find Interesting

1. boomiebol says:

Congratulations on the award, and wonderful to know more about you.

2. Congratulations on the award! You deserve it! I really enjoyed reading your interesting facts about yourself-indeed they are interesting. 🙂 I have four biological children but it has also always been a dream of mine to adopt from a different country/different race. What a beautiful family I know you have!
    Christina

3. mindfuldiary says:

Congrats on the award, Russ! Wow, you are a songwriter. I really like your definition of success. The more I get to know you the more I like you. ;D Btw, in my family we are 3 races too. Just loved this very personal post.

Thank you! The feeling is mutual. I’d love to hear more about you and your family. What?!?! A multi-racial family!?! What is the world coming to? ;-D! I like to think that such changes are likely to bring us closer to world peace as over time race becomes less and less a differentiator and barrier!

• mindfuldiary says:

Hahahaa, yeah I know. We trying to complicate things, huh? As if relationships are not tough enough! 🙂 Promise that I will write little about my family soon. To make things even more complicated we have 4 languages to deal with. Haha I have 5. Love to hear more about yours too…..perhaps you have already written about them in some of your older posts?

I’d love to read about your family. The number of cultures and languages sounds quite intriguing to me. I’ve written several earlier posts about my family that are probably most likely to be listed under “Family” and/or “Parenting”. I plan to add more stories as I think of them if I believe they will be entertaining to readers. Thank you for your comment and additional information about your family.

You’re amazing Russ…I mentioned you yesterday as a recipient of the SUnshine Blogger Award – but I wrote the wrong address (I thought it was The Grateful Man – not russtowne – I blew it)..I am blown away by your talents and successes, but even more hopeful that you are taking good care of yourself so that you’re here for your beloved, your kids and all of us!

Thank you for everything, Mimi. I appreciate the many ways you have supported and uplifted me! You are a major gift and blessing in my life.

As for taking good care of myself, I have been trending the right way in most health-related categories, though I still need to eat more fruits and vegetables and get more excercise. In other words, I have a ways to go but at least am headed in the right direction! Thank you for your concern!

• mimijk says:

Fruits, vegetables, exercise – that needs to be your new mantra!!! You touch so many lives Russ, it’s the least you can do to ensure that we all have you around for a loooong time..:-)

Thank you, Mimi. My Beloved has been out of state visiting relatives for 5 days so I have slipped some on the fruits and veggies, but she is due back tomorrow so I suspect that I’ll be eating quite a bit better! ;-D!

5. wow- you are one very interesting fellow – glad I found your blog

6. Pingback: An Award & Some Things About Me That You May Find Interesting … | Grandma Network

7. Congratulations Russ….I remember Rin Tin Tin so you know how old I am too….Diane

8. thoughtsfromanamericanwoman says:

Congratulations on the award, you deserve it – you have led a very inspiring life, and glad you are not going anywhere! 😉 I heard the second half of life is better than the first… Blessings – Patty

Thank you, Patty! So far, I’d agree that the second half of my life has been better than the first, so it would be nice if it (my life and the improvement) lasted a lot longer, but I’m living in a way that if it desn’t I won’t have regrets. I’ve said everything to everyone that needs saying, and I and they won’t feel a lack of closure. Everything I’ve wanted to do I’ve now done. Sure there are more things I’d like to do, but they are so far down my original list that I don’t really care whether I do them or not. I’m loving what I’m doing right now, and if I stop loving it, I’ll make changes.

9. First congratulations on the award, well deserverd. Secondly I loved that show Rin Tin Tin……..just
    saying. Thirdly it was good to read that a man wanted to be a father and grandfather from a young age, we hear about women wanting to be a mother and grandmother from childhood but rarely hear the same about men…………………..

10. My dear Russ, my warmest congratulations!! This post really warmed my heart as I got to catch a glimpse of you and what matters in your life. And I count myself blessed to know someone like you. No. 8 especially endeared to me as I believe some of the biggest and most important decisions in life is not something which one simply slips into unthinkingly but a deep desire from our earliest childhood. I totally understand this because my dream when I was 10 years old was to become a mother and a stay-at-home one at that. I’m so glad our wishes came true! Many hugs to you, Shaz

Hi, Shaz! Thank you for your comment and for sharing about your long-term dream and making it a reality! I still remember your wonderful post(s?) about your being young and in school in your native country. I found that fascinating and learned quite a bit. Thank you too for your friendship. i count that as a wonderful blessing.

Hugs to you too!

11. Gina's Professions for PEACE says:

Congratulations to you dear Russ! And what a wonderful sharing of things about yourself. We are all so blessed to have you as an integral part of this loving online family. And with the unfortunate case of the pain you endure at times, please know you are a mainstay part of my prayers and affirmations, and may this bout be the last one to trouble you and your Beloved (as I am sure she agonizes over your agony). And if I may add to what the lovely Shaz said above, I too knew that a loving family life was my destiny, so how wonderful for you and all of us when we witness our dreams coming true. Blessings and hugs, Gina

Thank you my dear friend Gina! It is indeed wonderful to have our deams come true and see the same among our friends. I appreciate your prayers and affirmations and it warms my heart that you do this for me, a man you’ve never met, though I must admit that as our spirits have found each otrher across the many miles I feel I’ve known you and a few others of the regulars in this internet family for many years. It feels wonderful.

Blessing and hugs to you too!

12. Pingback: Random Facts About Me | MINDFUL DIARY