Being There

Many of the most powerful moments in my life, the times I feel the most alive, the most useful, and the most connected to everyone and everything are those times I am there when someone needs me the most.

Just being there and walking through the fire or sitting in it with them, creating a safe space for their anger, grief, despair, pain, shame, loneliness, fear, and/or whatever else they are experiencing or being tormented by, and staying with them until the fire subsides, has often meant everything to me.

People often thank me for being there for them as though they somehow owed a debt of gratitude to me for being there for them. From my perspective, it is I who owe them, for the huge gift they gave to me for allowing me to be with them in their most awful moments, sharing their darkest hours, worst fears, and most painful times with me.

I live for such moments. It is why I’m alive. I’ve arranged my life so that I can drop everything and be there–any time of the day or night.

To those who have honored me by allowing me to be there at such times, I owe a debt of gratitude. Thank you!

My wife and I have been married since 1979. We have 3 adult children and 5 grandchildren. I manage a wealth management firm that I founded in 2003. My Beloved is a Special Education teacher for Kindergartners and First Graders. I'm a published author of approximately 60 books in a variety of genres for grownups and children. In addition to my family, friends, investing, and writing, my passions include reading, watching classic movies, experiencing waves crashing on rocky shores, hiking in ancient redwood forests, and the beauty of kindness and nature.
This entry was posted in Anger, Challenges, Dealing with Pain & Grief, Fear, Gratitude and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Being There

1. boomiebol says:

And for always being there…thank you!

2. Cathy Ulrich says:

Russ, I think that you are a true healer. And I feel the same way in my own work. Very often, a client will leave, thanking me for what they have received during a session. My answer is something like: “It’s an honor and a pleasure.” What a blessing it is to be able to help, isn’t it?

Cathy

You are a remarkable, giving soul Russ – with a heart that is so beautifully visible. It is a humbling pleasure to be a part of your blog-world..

4. You are welcome, oh you weren’t thanking me……………..lol That said I am glad our paths have crossed also………….

5. Andrea Kelly says:

Such a great reminder, Russ. Your friends and family are very lucky to have you!! I so look forward to your posts.
    -Andrea

6. JanBeek says:

In this world of self-absorbed people, an open, giving, loving heart is rare indeed. It takes a person who has learned the art of self-forgetfulness to “just be there” for others – and to know what a gift that is. Thank you, Russ, for your wonderful example ;o)

7. Robyn Lee says:

Such beautiful sentiments… I try to live the same way, and so agree with all you have expressed here ~ Blessings!