Shadow Of Our Love

First, an apology to those who read my posts because they tend to find them to be be uplifting, heart-warming, and/or funny–well, at least I ATTEMPT to write them that way. I have a great life and hope this blog reflects it while bringing smiles, hope, or reminders about the positive sides of life to readers who may need or enjoy such posts. I figure readers can get all the negative and cynical stories they want from the news and elsewhere.

Back to my apology: This post is different, so I wanted to warn you that it is sad (and possibly hopeful at the same time). I sometimes write song lyrics and they often try to evoke or capture various typess of situations or feelings that I’ve felt at various times in my life. They are sometimes the opposite of the upbeat tone I attempt to take in most of my posts. So, if you are not in the mood for a “downer” lyric or post at the moment, you might want to skip the rest of this post.

At one time or another most people have experienced the pain of being in a dying relationship that had once been very much alive.

In the song lyric below I’ve tried to capture that moment when one of the lovers realizes that the relationship is dying and reaches out to the other to see if there is any hope for rekindling the flame. It is only the first draft of what tends to be many drafts, but I like it enough to share it with you right now.

I’d written the draft some time ago and one of my songwriting collaborators recently saw it as he was going through old files and asked if I wanted to work on it with him. I enthusiastically responded “YES!”

“Shadow Of Our Love”

You used to kiss me like you meant it

Now you pull away as our lips touch

When we embraced our fire was all-consuming

Now it’s a chore to give me a hug.

What we had means everything to me

And I’m afraid what we’ve lost may never be found.

What can I do to bring the magic back

And to turn your heart around?

What we had was like the sun, great and hot and huge

But now all that’s left’s a shadow, a mere Shadow of Our Love

And it’s time you heard my truth that it’s not nearly good enough for me

I want so much more for the two of us than a Shadow of Our Love

I need to feel the fire burn bright again,

So if you want me in your life—and I really hope you do

Let’s feed the fire and keep it growing strong

‘cuz I want to spend my whole life with you

But if the flame in you for me is gone

Then let’s not live a lie

It’s time for me to pack my things

Softy close this door and say goodbye.

I'm awed by the beauty of nature and the power of love and gratitude. Some of my favorite sensory experiences include waves crashing on rocky shores, waterways in ancient redwood and fern-filled forests, and rain. My wife and I have been married since 1979. We have 3 adult children and 5 grandchildren. I manage a wealth management firm that I founded in 2003. My Beloved is a Special Education teacher for Kindergartners and First Graders. I'm a published author of approximately 60 books in a variety of genres for grownups and children.
This entry was posted in Song Lyrics I've Written or Co-Written, Song Updates, Songs I've Written or Co-Written and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Shadow Of Our Love

1. I don’t think you should ever have to apologize for having feelings that aren’t always happy happy joy joy. It’s when you perpetually park there that it becomes a bummer! ;). Great post and beautiful lyrics.

2. russtowne says:

Thank you for your comment and support! Good points!

3. Cathy Ulrich says:

Russ, Thank you for the disclaimer, but it wasn’t necessary. The song is beautiful and captures a snapshot of life that most of us have experienced at one time or another. I think the saddest situation is when couples can’t move on and stay together in spite of the pain.
    This song speaks of hope, but also honesty about someone wanting and deserving something more.

Cathy

4. russtowne says:

Thank you, Cathy. I plan to keep your comments in mind regarding the unnecessary disclaimer. I’m glad you liked the lyric and took the time to say so.

5. Sad song Russ…
    I find writing songs or poetry does help let go.

6. russtowne says:

I agree. Thank you for your comment.

In the lyric, I was attempting to leave open the possibility that the singer’s lover had just allowed their passion to burn low through other distractions of life, bills, kids, routines, chore, commutes, job stresses, etc, and that the wake-up call might bring them around.

I know that such turn-arounds are less likely to occur than not, but I’ve seen drastic warning shots work out before too. Sometimes you’ve gotta just get the other person’s attention.

But many times the the fire was allowed to burn down so far that one of both of the people in the relationship call it quits.

A sad truth of life is it takes two people to keep a relationship alive, but only one to kill it.

7. mgert123 says:

Also married 33 years on June 9th, love your perspective on things. As a musician appreciate your the lyric also. Thanks!

Congratulations on your 33 years of marriage, and happy belated anniversary! I know many people who for one reason or another lost a loved one before they ever had a chance to be together for 33 years. I consider myself and my wife blessed that we still are alive, reasonably healthy and still together. I hope the same is true for the two of you.

Thank you for your kind comments about the lyric. For some reason my post showed all the lines running together without spaces delineating choruses and verses, so it almost looked more like a poem with some repetition, but hopefully later revs will be much clearer.